Trouble Getting Windows CE on Buffalo AP

gguerra

n00b
I have a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 router that is set to Access Point Mode and we use here at our business with laptops and desktops with no problems. I have it set to do WEP encryption with a pass key which is 13 characters long.. I am trying to get our Symbol MC9060 portable data terminals to attach to this. Basically this is a Pocket PC running Windows CE ver 4.0 which we will be using to scan bar codes. I can get it to see the router and get a signal but can't seem to get it to get past that. I will not let me ping anything on the network. I've isolated the problem as being authentication since I've tried the Symbol with my wireless LAN at home with absolutely no problems. My home router is a Linksys WRT54G which is wide open (no security). The Symbol will do these authentication methods and I've tried all to no avail,
None, Kerberos, LEAP, EAP-TLS and PEAP
As far as Encryption it will do Open System, WEP and TKIP (WPA) and I'm using (WEP) as I said before..

Does anyone know what type of authentication the buffalo AP uses? I'm unable to get it to talk to my Pocket PC..

Like I said the Pocket PC works fine on a home linksys with no security and I know they are designed to work with high end AP's like Symbol and Cisco

I have a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 router that is set to Access Point Mode and we use here at our business with laptops and desktops with no problems. I have it set to do WEP encryption with a pass key which is 13 characters long.. I am trying to get our Symbol MC9060 portable data terminals to attach to this. Basically this is a Pocket PC running Windows CE ver 4.0 which we will be using to scan bar codes. I can get it to see the router and get a signal but can't seem to get it to get past that. I will not let me ping anything on the network. I've isolated the problem as being authentication since I've tried the Symbol with my wireless LAN at home with absolutely no problems. My home router is a Linksys WRT54G which is wide open (no security). The Symbol will do these authentication methods and I've tried all to no avail,
None, Kerberos, LEAP, EAP-TLS and PEAP
As far as Encryption it will do Open System, WEP and TKIP (WPA) and I'm using (WEP) as I said before..

Does anyone know what type of authentication the buffalo AP uses? I'm unable to get it to talk to my Pocket PC..

Like I said the Pocket PC works fine on a home linksys with no security and I know they are designed to work with high end AP's like Symbol and Cisco

The buffalo will use whatever authentication you told it to use. Since you choose WEP it is just a sharred WEP key.

One thing I have noticed is alot of AP's and client software will let you put in a passphrase instead of a hexidecimal key for WEP.. Make sure you are putting the same thing in both sides. I Prefer using a 128 bit Hexidecimal key on both sides 26 Charcters 0-9 a-f if no other options are availiable.

In reality you should probably be using PEAP or EAP with a sharred complex key. LEAP is useless anymore.

My Pocket PC (portable computer) includes five tabs for WLAN profiles (configuration)

1. Mode, 2. Authentication, 3. Encryption, 4. IP Config, 5. Power

I will cover 2 and 3 here which is where I think my problem lies

2. Authentication
choices are None, Kerberos, LEAP, EAP-TLS, PEAP (I set this to none)

3. Encryption.. This is where I am probably doing something wrong

Choices are Open System, WEP and TKIP (WPA) My buffalo AP is set to WEP

I choose WEP I get the following Dialog:
Keylength: 40-bit or 128-bit (I choose 128)
It gives me 6 boxes to enter 26 characters. 5,5,4,4,4,4 characters . Under the 6 boxes is another dialog that lets me choose Key 1, 2, 3 or 4

it also gives me a button that says Passkey which when I click it I can enter a passkey from 4 to 32 chracters in length.. This is all I've been doing...That is enter the regular 13 character passphrase (alphanumeric) I normally use when attaching to the WLAN from a laptop.

Do I need to enter the keys using the 16 character format or the 32 character format. If it's the 16 character is it in hex and how do I convert my alphanumeric passphrase to hex?

This is more than likely my problem is that I not sending the right keys.

With other clients (including XP) I've always just entered a normal 13 character passphrase that includes letters and numbers.

Back