Trouble diagnosing recent wireless network issues

AshleyG

Limp Gawd
In the past week, my wife and I have been noticing some speed issues with wireless connections at our house. We live a little off the beaten path, with no interference from other routers.

Here's a quick map:

DLink DSL Modem (bridge mode) -> WNDR3700 (V1.0.16.98NA firmware)

-wired-> Desktop computer, Vonage adapter, computer test/repair bench
-wireless-> 2 laptops, iPad 2, Android phone, Logitech Revue

We have 6MB AT&T DSL through AT&T. Wired speeds are consistently high with no laggy feel or hang while loading web pages or games.

The iPad 2 has never been responsive on this router, and after my latest phone update my Droid is sluggish now too. Both of them are noticeable quicker on my 3MB school office connection (DGL-4300 router), even though there's more network congestion and several other access points within range. The laptops have been quick on the home network until lately.

I've tried complete system shutdowns and restarts, clearing data and putting the settings back manually, reflashing firmware, etc. Anything wifi is now just sluggish.

Any recommendations for what else to do are more than welcome. We'd rather not spend the money on another router right now, but if we have to bite the bullet we'll survive.

What am I missing? How do I get everything working happily together again?

Last edited:
In the past week, my wife and I have been noticing some speed issues with wireless connections at our house. We live a little off the beaten path, with no interference from other routers.

Here's a quick map:

DLink DSL Modem (bridge mode) -> WNDR3700 (V1.0.16.98NA firmware)

-wired-> Desktop computer, Vonage adapter, computer test/repair bench
-wireless-> 2 laptops, iPad 2, Android phone, Logitech Revue

We have 6MB AT&T DSL through AT&T. Wired speeds are consistently high with no laggy feel or hang while loading web pages or games.

The iPad 2 has never been responsive on this router, and after my latest phone update my Droid is sluggish now too. Both of them are noticeable quicker on my 3MB school office connection (DGL-4100 router), even though there's more network congestion and several other access points within range. The laptops have been quick on the home network until lately.

I've tried complete system shutdowns and restarts, clearing data and putting the settings back manually, reflashing firmware, etc. Anything wifi is now just sluggish.

Any recommendations for what else to do are more than welcome. We'd rather not spend the money on another router right now, but if we have to bite the bullet we'll survive.

What am I missing? How do I get everything working happily together again?

In your school office, the DGL-4100 router that you mentioned is wired only (no wireless capability whatsoever unless a separate wireless access point is connected to that router).

The DD-WRT page for the WNDR3700 lists some issues. http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNDR3700 Some of it may be DD-WRT's software, but it sounds like some of it could be crappy hardware too (problems reported by people who never used DD-WRT on it).

It might be worth a shot to try DD-WRT on it. Worst case, you can always go back to stock.

In your school office, the DGL-4100 router that you mentioned is wired only (no wireless capability whatsoever unless a separate wireless access point is connected to that router).

Good catch, that's what I get for eyeballing it before I'm completely awake. DGL-4300, sorry.

Good catch, that's what I get for eyeballing it before I'm completely awake. DGL-4300, sorry.

That router has 802.11g MIMO capability in its wireless section. This means that it supports 20/40 MHz bandwidth hopping, doubling the connection speed to 108 Mbps (normal 802.11g is 54 Mbps maximum).

With that out of the way, I think your WNDR-3700 might be dying or defective, especially since older D-Link routers can handle only 200 simultaneous connections while the WNDR-3700 can handle up to 4,096 simultaneous connections.

After last night's brick-o-rama trying to flash DD-WRT (I was able to TFTP myself back to stock) and now that some things will connect (like my Logitech Revue) and others won't (My Droid X drops connection immediately) I am pronouncing this router FUBAR. TIme for a replacement, it is.

Back