Trouble connection laptop to my wireless network...

donkey33

Limp Gawd
Ok. I need some help here.

I just set up a wireless network as some know from the other thread.

At first, I installed everything and the net was running fine on the desktop as well as the network being recognised on the laptop.

There was no security as all as it was just put in place so I put everything on.

I disabled DHCP, added WPA-PSK security and entered the MAC address of the laptop so that's the only one that could use the network as outlined in the sticky guide.

Problem is, the laptop can't find the network at all and I can't connect to it.

I know there are some settings I need to change since DHCP is on by default, etc, but I'm unsure what I need to change and what to change it to. I have all the info (IP's, etc) in front of me but don't know which to change.

I've also got a long key word as for my WPA protection and apparently I have to enter this in my laptop so it can access the network but I can't find it anywhere.

If anyone can help me connect this laptop to the network it would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks

First, to "test" your wireless LAN, I'd leave DHCP enabled. Once you know the setup is working, you can go disable DHCP.

Say your router has a LAN IP of 192.168.0.1, you'll want to setup your laptop in the same scope...but on a different IP address. Unless there are more computers on your network (or other networked devices such as networked printers, etc)...that leaves you from 192.169.0.2 to 192.168.0.253. So pick a number.

OK lets say you picked 192.168.0.10, now your next computer you'd make something like 192.168.0.11, next..192.168.0.12, so on and so forth.

Now allllll the other TCP information will be the same for any/all other computers on your network...and that information will be the subnet mask, gateway, and DNS. Unless you run a domain controller with Win9X clients, you'll not be touching WINS...except to "disable it" on any Win9X clients you have.

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway is the LAN IP of the router itself, 192.168.0.1
DNS...I prefer to enter your ISPs 2x DNS servers here...for performance purposes, but you can also enter the routers LAN IP address. It's just on some routers, on some firmware versions, entering the routers LAN IP sometimes doesn't work...the DNS forwarding of the routers can get funky and slow. Entering your ISPs 2x DNS servers provides much faster response. The only drawback is once in a rare blue moon your ISP might change DNS servers. Easy enough to troubleshoot and change. You can find your ISPs 2x DNS servers easily..1) Look at the status section of your routers web admin page, 2) Look at your ISPs website support section, 3) Refer to any documentation your ISP sent you, 4) Call your ISP.

Thanks man.

I found my problem. I disabled the broadcast of the SSID so the laptop couldn't find it so I enabled it.

Can I access the network with this disabled? How would I find my network though?

Also, I have DHCP disabled but the TCP/IP is set to automatic. Shouldn't I have to enter the IP's, etc for this to access the network. It's accessing it just by default with only the WPA key entered.

donkey33 said:
I disabled the broadcast of the SSID so the laptop couldn't find it so I enabled it.

Can I access the network with this disabled? How would I find my network though?

Yes you can in most cases, you simply have to remember what you made your SSID on the WAP, and enter that manually on your clients wireless config.

I say "in most cases"..because there are some mixtures of brands of hardware out there that don't play alone nicely together when you try to do more "non-default" setups.

Thanks man.

What about this?

donkey33 said:
Also, I have DHCP disabled but the TCP/IP is set to automatic. Shouldn't I have to enter the IP's, etc for this to access the network. It's accessing it just by default with only the WPA key entered.

donkey33 said:
Thanks man.

What about this?

You'll find the answer pretty darned quick.....what IP address do you get on the laptop, if you leave it set to "obtain auto", and you have no DHCP service on your network?

What LAN IP address is your access point? (jot this down before you fiddle)

Wireless will associate without an IP....but notice you won't get very far.

Thanks but I sort of didn't get your reply.

The network is working fine and the laptop is accessing it.

I have DHCP disabled and the laptop set to auto and it's still working fine. I meant to ask if that was normal.

I thought I had to enter the IP, etc, for it to work so I was just wondering disabling DHCP actually did anything.

Back