Trouble changing Windows 7 Admin Password!

I have recently started working on a project with a computer that was for a small business, but was set up in such a way that none of the cashiers could tamper with the time, web settings, or anything in the control panel. The only permission the general user was given was to use a software for marketing. Now, i would like to put it to a different use. But, alas; I have reached my first dilemma of many to come. This computer was set up with a person of far greater knowledge than I, and i do not have contact with this person at this time. The problem is, there is one admin account, which is locked by a password. :eek: I don't know this password, nor do i have access to the person who set it up. I don't want to wipe the computer, it has a legit copy of Windows 7, along with Microsoft office 2013, and a year left of ESET Antivirus. Not knowing any of the activation codes to any of these, and no longer having the disks, would make it quite a shame to wipe it. I have tried changing the password in quite a few ways, all with failure. The closest i have gotten was changing the sticky key executable with cmd.exe. I have gotten this to work, and i have logged in with the admin account. Thing is, no matter what i do, whether it be change the password, remove it, create another admin account, or even make the user account admin privileged, every time i reboot, it undoes everything, including the changed password. Yes, i did try LiveCD, but i had little idea of what i was doing. (I used nothing but Ubuntu for 2 years, so that wasn't a problem. it was the "what do i do now?" and after doing such, "why doesn't it work after rebooting into Windows???") I have no reset key, no hint is given, and i am kind of annoyed that my first attempts didn't work. :confused: Could anyone help me gain admin privileges to either a user account, or change/remove/figure out what the password is to this admin account?
Thnx!

Last edited:
I did look into that... But i didn't know exactly how legit it was, and if it was worth wasting my time with it. I shall try again.
Thnx!

Now seeing that it is simply chntpw on a disk, i have already done this on Ubuntu. Unfortunately, i didn't work. All i got was fails and errors.

Errors start to occur when i get to the account i want to select. All except the User account has "dis/lock" written under the "lock?" column. From this point, any account other than User gives me errors when i try to change the password/clear the password.
EDIT: I tried option (2) Unlock, beyond giving me an error, it seemed to have unlocked it. Then i proceeded to make the password blank, another error. Booted into Windows, and TADA!!! All the passwords are still in place, and i still don't have admin privileges.

Last edited:
If I recall you have to use the option to write the info to the disk before you exit/reboot out of the program. I'm guessing you're using the latest version from:

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/ (I hope this is ok to post?)

From the website:

It seems to reset the password, but Windows won't agree.

My code wasn't that great after all. (it didn't change or changed in the wrong place. The V struct is still marked "here be dragons..")
Try blanking the password instead (menu selection 1), this may straighten things out. In fact, reports indicate: BLANKING RECOMMENDED!
If it still won't work, see the previous solution.
Blanking will probably be the only option in newer releases (it is :)
On old versions: quit out of the user name select with ! which is usually SHIFT 1
On new versions: it will go back to the menu after reset
.. and then select to quit, then answer y when it asks to write / save back the changes...
.. else nothing will be written.

Seems like too many people just reset the machine after selecting to reset the password, without doing the save..

Might not be the problem in your case - just pointing this out as it can be easily overlooked.

Last edited:
Back