Trouble acquiring an IP address...

RicKuRuKuS

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys my other computer recently decided to stop working on the internet and I am getting very frustrated. It shows in the lower right corner that it is trying to acquire a network address and no ip or anything is being assigned to it. The other computers work just fine so I know it's not my internet or not my router. I am using a Linksys router and I have checked and double checked the cables and powered on and off everything. Still no signs of connection just a simple "Acquiring network address" and when I try to repair it, it says it could not repaired.... HELP!!!

-rick

Is there a firewall installed on the computer? You could try to disable it. You could try to reinstall ethernet cards drivers. What if you assign your IP settings statically, can you get online that way?

i am a good computer user and make sure every file on my machine is known about... im no dummy but i havent tried statically assigning an ip yet cause i am not sure what address to use for that... this is so weird .. more ideas?

-rick

Unless you changed the settings the ip pool will be 192.168.1.1 on a standard linksys router.

so statically assign the computer that can't get an address
subnet 255.255.255.0 unless your computer that works has a diff mask in that case use the same one,
and default gateway and dns should be set to 192.168.1.1

make sure the card works, at the command prompt ping localhost even with no ip or a cable plugged in it should respond telling you its working

switch out the cat5 cable from the computer that works to the non working computer to make sure its not a cable problem.

use a different port on the router... just typing by 2 minute brainstorm, post results

usually falls to a mix of issues:

bad cable
bad drivers
bad card
bad port on router
winsock damaged (have you uninstalled any crazy spyware recently? if spyware is ripped out it often damages the winsock on its way out)

most of which all have been previously mentioned...so id give that a go....keep us informed.

edit: my title says "Gawd" now :)
now i just need one that says "network guiness"

thx da soldier... i manually assigned the ip and it works now.. so shold i leave it like that or is there a way to keep it dynamic or does it even matter what it is?

-rick

warsawtag said:
thx da soldier... i manually assigned the ip and it works now.. so shold i leave it like that or is there a way to keep it dynamic or does it even matter what it is?

-rick

There's no drawback to having a static LAN IP, matter of fact if setup correctly you can have some improved performance. For one, assign an IP outside of the normal DHCP handout range...which by default on Linksys routers is between 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.99. Linksys routers start handing out IPs with .100...and if you have several computers on your network, assigning it .104 will lead to a conflict in the near future.

For performance, I prefer to plug in your ISPs 2x DNS servers.. (as long as you're running a peer to peer network, if running a true server on your LAN, you'd obviously use that IP instead since you want internal DNS to function correctly). Using your routers LAN IP as your DNS server, well, depending on the make/model/firmware version of your router, that can lend to some issues, some routers don't do the old DNS relay very well. Why wait a few milliseconds longer for your router to relay the request...speed things up and plug in your ISPs 2x DNS servers directly.
http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=177

I'd be curious as the reason it wasn't pulling an IP by itself though.
Try switching the cables/ports with another computer, same result? Or does the problem stay with the cable/port?
Most common reason I've seen for this is the hosed TCP stack/winsock...from some malware that hit you, which one of those free rebuild utilities cures.
I like this one here...
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/WinSockFix.shtml

What model router do you have, and which version of firmware is on it?

Back