Trouble accessing resources on network while connected through VPN

mckrooz

n00b
Here's the deal. I am connecting fine to my work network through VPN. What I need to do once I get in, is map a network drive so I can retrieve some files and do some work at home. While connected, I can't ping any of the servers at work, only the VPN server. I asked a coworker how to do it and he said, just VPN in, and then map the drive. I tried to RDP into the server and no luck. How can I do this? :eek:

When connected to the VPN, issue a "route print" from the command line to make sure the routing information to the target subnet is correct.

Sounds like you're not getting a route into the network and/or the access controls aren't setup properly. What VPN client are you using?

Talk to your system admin and make sure you setup server side with permissions to get to various servers. ACL's for the VPN server and so on.

ktwebb said:
Talk to your system admin and make sure you setup server side with permissions to get to various servers. ACL's for the VPN server and so on.
I agree. You may not be allowed to ping into your network via VPN.

Also, don't use the DNS or NetBIOS name of the machine. Use the IP address for shares over the VPN link.

Ok. I was able to get to the other machines at work. Turns out I had to change my default gateway to something other than the gateway at work. So...instead of 192.168.1.1, had to change it to 192.168.0.1. After that, I was able to RDP into the computers. Still can't map drives but this works.

mckrooz said:
After that, I was able to RDP into the computers. Still can't map drives but this works.

Are you trying to map drives as if your computer is right on the network? Or map drives through the RDC using "local resources"?

Back