Trouble accessing new Windows 7 pc across my LAN

DarkCyber

[H]ard|Gawd
I have had to replace a Windows XP computer that crashed on me with a new Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit computer. Everything worked fine and the new computer can access all my computers on my LAN...the problem is, when I try to access the new Win 7 pc from my other Windows XP computers. When I try to access it through Windows Explorer I get the log on pop-up asking for username and password, which I do not want. I want it to access it directly without any kind of log on. I have a Homegroup setup with my other Windows 7 computers...just have a problem going from XP to 7...Suggestions?

I have had to replace a Windows XP computer that crashed on me with a new Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit computer. Everything worked fine and the new computer can access all my computers on my LAN...the problem is, when I try to access the new Win 7 pc from my other Windows XP computers. When I try to access it through Windows Explorer I get the log on pop-up asking for username and password, which I do not want. I want it to access it directly without any kind of log on. I have a Homegroup setup with my other Windows 7 computers...just have a problem going from XP to 7...Suggestions?

Enable the "Guest" account and give it permission to your share. Windows tries to authenticate as "Guest" with no password if it can't log in with your current username and pass.

You don't get the "Remember my password" box when you get prompted to put in credentials? Doesn't XP have the Credential Manager too?

Can you run this command from Run?

rundll32.exe keymgr.dll, KRShowKeyMgr

and just add the login you would use to connect?

No domain.

Yes, in the past, I have enabled 'Guest Account' and then when I boot the computer up it usually stops half way and asks to choose either the current user of guest account. I want the pc to auto boot straight into the Windows desktop without stopping for user selection.

exchange keys,

I will give that a try and see. And no I did not get that pop up user box when I was going from XP to XP. Only getting it going from XP to 7.

The reason this is happening is you don't have the same accounts on both computers. Add the account that you use on that other computer with the same password and it should work.

The reason this is happening is you don't have the same accounts on both computers. Add the account that you use on that other computer with the same password and it should work.

I do not use a username and password on either computer.

There has to be some sort of user name that you are logging in with. You can't have no username. You are probably going straight to desktop when powered on because you don't have a password set. If you have a username mismatch this will also cause it.

On the Win7 PC - go to Network and sharing center. Make sure the "location" is set to work, (location is basically a premade set of firewall rules). Over on the left column, select change advanced sharing settings. Change settings to:
turn on network discovery
turn on file and printer sharing
turn off public folder sharing
turn OFF password protected sharing (this is whats killing you)

right click the shared folder on that PC and make sure the sharing/security permissions are set correctly.

viola!!!!

On the Win7 PC - go to Network and sharing center. Make sure the "location" is set to work, (location is basically a premade set of firewall rules). Over on the left column, select change advanced sharing settings. Change settings to:
turn on network discovery
turn on file and printer sharing
turn off public folder sharing
turn OFF password protected sharing (this is whats killing you)

right click the shared folder on that PC and make sure the sharing/security permissions are set correctly.

viola!!!!

Viola_d%27amore.jpg

This posters last point is your main issue OP.

If you DONT turn off password protected sharing then you must have the same user/pw from the XP/other machines from your network ALSO setup on the Win7 PC and manage those permissions on the shared folder manually :/

Back