TROLL ALERT - Pr0phetX is a SCAMMER!!!

We need to put out a huge alert on this guy!!

He has taken ppl from 3 diffrent forums that I know of, he took my friend for $1700 On XtremeSystems.

DO NOT TRUST HIM!! DO NOT BUY OFF HIM!!

MODS dont remove this because it doesnt have to do with Hardocp, we need to stick together and alert everyone about this guy!

Pinnacle said:
We need to put out a huge alert on this guy!!

He has taken ppl from 3 diffrent forums that I know of, he took my friend for $1700 On XtremeSystems.

DO NOT TRUST HIM!! DO NOT BUY OFF HIM!!

MODS dont remove this because it doesnt have to do with Hardocp, we need to stick together and alert everyone about this guy!
He scammed others on this forum, so I don't think the mods will lock it.

No posting of personal info, sorry :(

I agree, this guy really needs to be stopped. So far, from this thread, I've counted

over $7462 being stolen by him, mostly from Anandtech, [H], and a few other forums. Some of the amounts scammed is estimated because they didn't say anything about how much they paid for it, but I'd assume most are an underestimate of what they really paid. Expect the real figure to be over $8000.

I called his Local Police, and they did visit him at home, however I havn't personally heard any results yet.
His Personal info is in the thread on Anand, as well as his Cell # and his Local PD's #, and the name of the officer I spoke to.

Larry

Damn, we all need refund of him, I want my money back, looks like paypal isnt doing job either :( Please police, help us get out of this!

Is there any way we can get additional help from the Hardforum mods. I dunno if they'll do us any good but IP addresses or any additional information about this guy might prove useful in getting our money back. I dunno... any suggestions from anyone else?

Would it be useful to find out where he works? I have reported this to all the proper authorities and I don't know if anything is getting done. We might have to get creative with this... this is definately not the first time someone has gotten scammed! How have these situations been solved before?

Hi All

I bought Sennheiser PC-160 Gaming Pro Headset off of him on anandtech buy/sell forums with no problems. Only problem was delay in shipping, he said he would ship it out but then he Pm'ed about my shipping address because I forgot to tell him even though it was on the envelope for the money order I sent him. I thought okay at least he wants to make sure he is shipping to the right address so no biggy. Then it is delayed more because he said he injured himself and had his gf ship it out the next day, which is what happened. SO i got my headset, really nicely packaged and everything..works great only minor issue with being shipped out but it was fixed.

But if you guys look @ his evals on heatware, http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=42864, he has 33 consecutive positive evals with me being his last POSITIVE one (see me ironetik) and the 11 after that all negative. What happened? Did someone hijack this account(s) or did he build up his reputation to screw people afterwards?

One4yu2c said:
I also purchased a supposed new/sealed Evga 7900GTX from him...

UPDATE 7-26-06
I'm pleased to report that I've been refunded in full today via Paypal. To cut/paste my post from Anandtech:
  • RomanMtz said:
    I recommend those people that are waiting for money from Gary to call him calmly and reason with him in a peaceful, adult manner. I think all will go well if you guys do that.

Definitely good advice, as I've been talking with Gary off and on in a civil manner basically since the **** hit the fan. Since he was good about keeping up communication (answering the phone), I wanted to give him a chance to rectify the situation on his own and issue a refund before proceeding through the legal system, and I'm pleased to report that I've been refunded in full as of 30 minutes ago. To recap:

- I purchased and paid $383 for a 7900GTX

- Card never shipped, negatives showed up on Heatware, and I filed a Paypal dispute

- Spoke with Gary and we agreed that we'd let Paypal conclude the dispute and take it from there

- Paypal ruled in my favor, was unable to recover funds (as expected)

- Spoke with Gary and he agreed to send me a refund in mail within two weeks

- In that time period, Gary contacted me and informed me that Paypal was reversing some charges so that refunds could be issued

- Skeptical, I was going to have Gary send me a refund via mail and if Paypal also ended up refunding me, I would send the money back to him. However, I got an email from Paypal today saying that I've been refunded in full ($383). Logged in to verify, and there the money sits

I'm just copying and pasting form my post at Anandtech... too lazy.. hehe :D

--------------------------

Guys, I have great news... I have received a refund for the full amount of my purchase from Gary Overstreet. I had been speaking to him these last couple of days and he informed me that chargebacks were being done to his account. Right when we were going to call paypal three way to find out if these chargebacks were going to the claim winners directly or not, he was able to log into his paypal account and refund my money.

My experience has been that he is a reasonable person once you speak to him calmly in a non-threatening way.

I really hope that everone else that is waiting for money from Gary get what is theirs.

I want to thank everyone that has participated in a constructive way in this thread, especially BigLar, One4yu2c and the Anand Mods. ´

If anyone needs my help with anything I will be more than happy to help.

I recommend those people that are waiting for money from Gary to call him calmly and reason with him in a peaceful, adult manner. I think all will go well if you guys do that.

Thanks again...

Nettwerk said:
nope still working on him
What are you doing exactly? Im waiting my money back too, Paypal should refound... are you sending mails and trying to communicate with Gary?

Kashelz said:
What are you doing exactly? Im waiting my money back too, Paypal should refound... are you sending mails and trying to communicate with Gary?

I have contacted the FBI Internet Fraud site,I was the original person that contacted and spoke to his Local Police dept, and have done my very best to let folks know not to do with this Scum.

I have also contacted him via Phone, but that was a complete joke. I have filed a claim with Paypal, and that was Closed after 1 month, without any explanation.

To update, I was the fool who purchased the Team Xtreem PC4000 from Prophetx off AT, that he had stated were the Exact ram from the OPB's thread over at Extreme. What I recieved was a mediocre pair of above branded memory, with Bent up Heat Spreaders. I paid Retail price for the "Good Ram", but got Crap.

A Year and a Day.

Larry

Hey guys, just saw this thread

Yeah I sold him some DDR gskill ram (HZ iirc) for $150, he claimed it never got there. I believed him and filed a lost mail with the USPS, and ended up refunding him his money :mad: That little pos needs a beatdown :mad:

edit: now that I think about it I sold him Teamgroup Infineon ram, not gskill. Probably the same stuff you bought. I did contact OPB on XS asking if he bought the ram from him (he told me that's what he did after he claimed mine didn't show up) and opb said he really did buy it from him.

The ram I got was UCCC, not infineon, and he had a link to the good stuff OPB had in his thread at XS. He stated the ram for sale,(that I paid for), was the Exact ram he was selling/ well, the Serial #'s, the date of the ram, and the spd timings were all completely different of the 1's I recieved, as well as the Heat Spreaders were all bent up from Prophetx trying to look under them to make sure they were the same week, so he could scam someone, ie; Me :(

Larry

If you guys file enough complaints on him, I'm sure the police will do something about it.

The police were contacted Long ago, I still havn't got my issue resolved, and am going to file a claim with the Postal Inspector's as to the fraudulent dealings.

Big Lar said:
The police were contacted Long ago, I still havn't got my issue resolved, and am going to file a claim with the Postal Inspector's as to the fraudulent dealings.
I actually think he went to court over all of these charges, not sure if he was convited or not, but Im positive he went to court.

Back