TROLL ALERT - Pr0phetX is a SCAMMER!!!

RomanMtz

Gawd
I don't need to go to great lengths to prove what my title says is true. Just take a look at his heatware feedback. http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=42864

Unfortunately, this bad feedback came AFTER I fell for this guy's lies too on Anandtech forums... the following is a PM I send Anandtech moderatos:

Hello Anand Mod, here is my situation with Pr0phetX.

Contact with Pr0phetX started when I PM’ed him about two EVGA 7900GTX video cards he was selling. I was interested in buying one and then stepping it up to a 7950GX2. I was kind of hesitant at first and was analyzing my risks with the deal because I did not want to end up with the GTX.

Anyway, after several PM’s (I have all of them saved just in case) and some thinking, he bumped the price down and I PM’ed him an offer. I told him that I would buy his card if he would email me all registering information (serial number, electronic invoice) to me upon payment so I could start the step up process as soon as possible. He agreed and I sent him $379 paypal CC on June 16. As soon as I paid him he told me he would get me the info when he got home. After several attempts to get the info and several responses from him claming that his DSL was down, he sent me the card’s serial number. I then realized I needed the purchase place and date to register the card so I asked him to send me the electronic invoice. Again, I made several attempts by PM and email to get this info from him. Now, all this time he had not shipped either. He finally replied my email on June 24 saying that that info was packaged inside the card and that he could not get it for me. I can’t believe that he couldn’t get access to the electronic invoice from newegg (where he says the card was bought) but he did have the card with him (supposedly).

Anyway, after bugging him some more he emails me saying that he’d rather refund my money; That he “had it with me asking him to bend over backwards so I could take advantage of the system” and that I should buy a GX2 somewhere else. I don’t think I was doing anything wrong wanting to step the card up. That’s perfectly legal. So I emailed him back saying, Ok, give me my money back. I was tired of his rudeness and lack of compliance with what we had agreed. So he emails me on June 25 saying “Give me a few days to deposit some funds in my paypal.” I waited a couple of days and I emailed him yesterday morning and have received no response at all since Sunday June 25.

Yesterday I saw Viper24’s bad heatware feedback and that is when I freaked. I sent him a money request from paypal and I added him to my AIM (his screen name is [it's on his profile]) but he doesn’t respond to that either. I plan on calling him tonight. His phone number is (I have it if needed). His name is (I have his full name) and he lives in (I know where).

Please let me know if I can do anything else to help this situation. I just want either the GTX so I can resell it or my money back. Thanks for your help.

RomanMtz

Can someone here help us? This prick is registered on these forums and is a threat to the trading community. We have all filed complaints on paypal and are planning to send a police report. Any additional help from people would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Might want to remove the personal info, or the mods will for you.

As far as the transaction goes, its scary I know but atleast you went through paypal and have already filed a dispute. My guess would be that you'll get a refund through Paypal. Keep us posted.

Unfortunatly, this is not a suprise to me. I actually had bought a BFG 7800gtx off him that never reached me. After a week, he says he went to the post office and they never shipped it off due to some issue. I did get my money back though. He seemed legit to me but....not sure what happened to him now. It sort of scares me because he has been selling many expensive items like 7900gtx and fx-60 cpu's lately. When I had done the deal with him, he had no negatives. I never left him a negative because he seemed nice and did promptly refund me.

He actually lives in literally the next town over. Hes about 15mins away from me.

If you have his contact information such as Name, Home address, Home phone. you should have no trouble getting your money back via filing an police report against him.

Retsam said:
He actually lives in literally the next town over. Hes about 15mins away from me.

why dont you visit him for the people got scammed.

Well I dont have his address or anything... If someone else did I could try maybe. I can look up the local police department number for someone who needed it.

I was also in a car accident yesterday and kinda banged up. Total'd my car. Or actually, my brothers car. : / Somehow I escaped with little injury.

I too had a bad deal with the guy, However he did send me Ram that i purchased, however, the ram was not the same he linked to :( I am the 1 who left his latest Negative at Heat. As to his Attitude, it is the worst I have ever seen while dealing with anyone, Rude/Arrogant and just an azz :( I contacted the Troll Hunters, filled with Paypal, contacted the Mods at AT, as well as a few other things legaly done. Time will tell of course, but the future dosn't look bright at all.

I hope all that are OUT from dealing with this person get thier $$ back swiftly.

Larry

That sucks Larry im sorry : /

Did you need the local police department numbers or anything? Did you have his address?

Why dont you guys start a thread on anand on him so it can get stickied. He sold most of his stuff over there anyways. That way the AT mods can help some as well. Thats also the only alias listed in his heat. Looks like he hasnt been online over there for a month either, so thats not a good sign.

Retsam, yes, I would like the Local Police #, I have questioned the AT mods as to whether to start a new thread over there as to the matter, and await thier reply. We are continually Bumping the "SOLD" thread of his there for now, most folks will put 2 & 2 together by seeing that hitting the top often for now.

All I can say for now, is that the situation is being looked into by others other than the folks that have had problems with this guy. I am pretty sure it will get worked out, but for anyone that has not spoken up about a bad deal with him, now is the time to do so.

Larry

Yeah what sucks is, I just checked his activity. The last time he was online over at AT was 6/23/06. His last activity here was 06-22-2006 04:43 PM.

When I had dealt with him, he didnt seem like a scammer to me. He refunded me and everything very fast when it didnt show up. Perhaps it was because he knows I live 15 mins away from him. :)

Thanks for backing me up Larry and sorry for not letting you know I started this thread... maybe we should notify One4yu2c and Viper24? They have all his contact info in order I believe. Everyone, any help would be very much appreciated.

Hi Roman, no problemo, I contacted Viper24 as to the thread, Maybe you would like to tell One4yu2c about the thread :)

I talked to Jeff Rodgers (the first guy that he scammed I think) and he has 6 or 7 people already he is talking to that got scammed by this guy (one guy is from pcworld magazine and he has contacts with the fbi). They already have been talking to the fraud dept at paypal and paypal is going to fax a fraud report to his local police dept. If anyone was scammed by this guy please get in on this report. I will paste what he told me to do here:

-----------------------------------

Ok, now everyone that is affected, THIS IS IMPORTANT.

I need everyone to send an email to [email protected] with my email address (jrodgers @ surewest . net) attached to it. Briefly describe your affiliation to this problem. This will help paypal to set in stone all of our claims.

If things dont make a turn for the better by then, I need everyone to send me your contact information and how much money you sent ProphetX. I will just need this to back up my claim for a police report.

------------------------

What scares me is the people that bought those expensive fx60 cpus off here or xtremesystems.org lol.. He scammed me of a $400 EVGA 7900gtx and then he fills out a shipping label though paypal click ship and it has all his contact info and everyone has his address and even been talking with him on the phone.

some more info here:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=853448#post853448

Alright I was just gonna go through looking up some of his info but it looks like you guys are on top of it. I can see you guys got his phone number already and address. Can someone pm me his address? Im curious exactly how close to me he is. I could always drive by and see if anyone was home.

Also that phone number that viper24 posted is probably real. Our area code here is 951 so...thats probably legit.

Jeff is a good guy, I talked to him on the phone today as well. I cannot stress enuff how important it is to post Negatives or Neuturals at Heat when these things happen.

I know many fear retalliation when leaving anything but a positive with people, however, what most people do not know, is that an email to the Troll Hunters, and or Heat himself, with a Clear explanation of what had progressed in a trade, will usually result in the retalliatory remark removed.

Yea, I bought the card and his heatware was pretty good.. all pos. And then its going on 4 weeks and my card hasnt arrived and I kept seeing his FS threads on various boards selling all this expensive stuff and still no negative heat so I guess I still had hope it was still comming or something. And then I saw a neg heat today and all hell broke loose lol

This is what it looks like when good traders go bad right here :(

Retsam: He makes out paypal shipping info and it emails you his from: and to: addresses and it is legit.. I dont know what this guy is thinking

If you guys can give him his address I might consider driving by his house and see if anyone might be home.

Same here... At least we're all in on this together... I hope we can all get our money back...

I was doing a deal with him. I bought 5 Xbox360 games from him for $150. Its been over two weeks and they still haven't shown up. This was on Anandtech.

Let me know what I can do to help anyone and in hopefully get some of our money back.

My heat is lesterts, which you'll see I've had two deals with him in the last couple of months. My first dealing with him was when I bought a Gateway LCD, and then I sold him an X-Fi Platinum about a month ago or so. Both of those deals went flawlessly and I had no problems. He kept good communication and was easy to talk to. I'm kinda baffled why he did all of this now.

I also purchased a supposed new/sealed Evga 7900GTX from him, based on his For Sale thread both on [H] and on Anandtech. To copy/paste my thread on TrollHunters (HERE):

Pr0phetX (Gary Overstreet) opened a FS thread on Anandtech's forums in which he was selling two Evga 7900GTX cards (one new, one used) and some RAM. I ended up purchasing the new/sealed 7900GTX card from him with the intention of reviewing it for HardwareLogic.com (I'm the Hardware Editor over there). He also agreed to include the original invoice so that I may utilize the Step-Up program, as I planned on trading it in towards a 7950GX2 and posting comparative benches, and he provided me with a phone number in case I had any trouble doing so.

Purchase Details
I paid for the Evga 7900GTX card on 6/17/06 via Paypal in the amount of $383. Shipping was to commence "ASAP."

Purchase Result
As of today, nearly two weeks later, the card has not shipped nor has a refund been made.

Attempts at Resolution
On Monday (26th), I called Gary to get an update. He informed me that the card had not shipped and provided an excuse that his internet was down at work. It was difficult to understand him over the phone, as it was early in the morning and I may have woken him up. In any event, he agreed to ship it by today (Thursday the 29th) and provide a tracking number.

The card was not shipped today, nor did Gary initially call me. I called for another update today and left a message on his voicemail. Not long after, Gary returned my phone call, though he asked for the wrong name - he asked for Jeff, which is another member involved in a dispute with Gary and whom I have been exchanging PMs on Anandtech. After speaking with Gary, he let me know that the card still has not shipped and then let me go abruptly, as he needed to speak with Jeff.

Current Status
I have open a claim with Paypal and left negative feedback on Gary's Heatware account. I am also in contact with two other Anandtech members who have apparently been scammed by Gary, one of which has filed a police report. I am in the process of getting more information and including myself on the report as well.

Pertinent Links
For Sale Thread on Anandtech
Thread Capture Before Edit
His Heatware Feedback
His Anandtech Profile
His [H]ardOCP For Sale Thread
Related Thread on MP3Car.com

He only lives about 10 minutes from me. I am more than willing to assiste were I can.

Hes about 10-15mins away from me as well. Where are you at james im curious? Im in temecula.

I was thinking of dropping by his house to talk with him but it seems like people are in contact over the phone with him so... Ill only do that if really needed, as I am not really involved.

Damn. To me it looks like he was building up good legit heat, to then turn around and scam people out of big expensive items. :(

Yup, I'm sure he does/ however, the Anand Mod contacted me, and stated his account was locked, and that it was 1 of the mods logged in to his account, checking PM's.

Damn, looks like I am one of the people, who is scammed by him too! Here under Hardforum.com he PM'ed information, that he have Team Xtreem Cronus UCCC, that can hit DDR600 speed! Realy great deal for me, heat was ok till I made payment, here is what he writed:

ProphetX said:
Hey i have a 2gb kit of Team Xtreem Cronus . This is a cherry picked set from OnePageBook himself. This is the exact same kit he uses in this thread.

I bought it from him after he did these tests
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=94973&highlight=team+uccc

OnePageBook has even autographed the sticks to insure they are indeed hand picked by him.

Also check my heatware under ProphetX

It also verifies these sticks are from him.

Im selling for $215 shipped and they do DDR600!

I have pics of the actual sticks as well. Let me know i accept paypal and im buisness verified under [email protected]

If you do want the ram just send payment via paypal and ill ship this saturday.

Gary,

So we talked about price and end price was 210$ shipped internacionaly to my country Latvia at Europe, first I paypaled 20$ to hold the ram for me and on monday I went to bank to add money on my credit card, then transfered 190$! So totaly 210$! Now it took some time, but no answers from him about date when he shipped out or some more info!

What can I do? Should I wait? Maybe I will recieve memory? However after I read about him I dont think so :( Do I need to ask help to paypal to get my money back? Please if someone know what to do for me PM me with more information, thanks!

Im almost positive he isnt going to send you anything. Theres a thread on Anandtech on him you should read. It looks like he sold the same memory as well to multiple people. It looks like he has ripped off a few people in Europe so.... Theres another guy waiting for a video card/cpu.

File a paypal complaint id say and hope you get your money back. Other than that, im not sure what you can do. Get in contact with big lar who has been talking to the local police department.

You said you used a creditcard right? If so you can technically do a chargeback. However I believe paypal closes your paypal account if you do that.

Yes, I have paypal on my credit card, here in my country there is no posible toget non-credit card paypal! I already read about him, I conntacted with Big Lar too, hope we can get our money back, these people must answer for that what they do, hope no one else is scammed by him!

That sucks I hope you guys get this guy... we should have a H mob come over to his house and mug him for the $$$ :) j/k

He linked in the Thread in Anand, to the actual sticks in OPB's thread at Xtreme, and stated they were the exact sticks. If you read the entire thread as to the link you have here, PrOphetX stated the ram he had wouldn't do DDR540 stable. I wish I would have seen that before I paid the jerk.

The sticks he sent me were obviously the sticks he was talking about in that link. However, like I said, he linked to the better sticks,of which showed the spd/date and serial # of the chips. None match with what was sent to me.

You need to contact his Local Police Department, PM or better yet, email me for the # to the police.

Larry

Big Lar said:
Thats the same ram he linked me too as well, tho the crap he sent was NOT those sticks. You need to contact his Local Police Department, PM or better yet, email me for the # to the police.

Larry
Ok, check PM, I will write you right now! Maybe you have MSN? Skype or something like that?

Sorry, no MSN or anything here, either email or pm :(

Larry

EDIT: I sent you PrOphetX info as well as the Police dept # via email to you.

Larry

scary stuff.....i almost bought 2x7900 GTX's off of him......hope you guys get him,keep on the cops and paypal and IC3.

Back