Trojan Horse And Warcraft III

The Doc

[H]ard|Gawd
A few days ago I loaded Warcraft III The Frozen Throne like I always do and after signing into Battle.Net my game was patched to the latest version. Since then I've had nothing but issues with the game (Let me explain in greater detail). The original error message I received was the following: " Warcraft III The Frozen Throne is unable to find War3.Exe please verify that your Frozen Throne disc is in your CD-Rom drive, and click retry". Here's the course of action I've taken thus far:

1) Inserted the disc into another DVD-Rom drive with the same results.
2) Uninstalled and reinstalled the game and received the same error message.
3) Created a new partition on my hard drive, installed a fresh copy of Windows XP, resinstalled the game on the new partition and still received the same error message.
4) Formatted my C: Partition (Which had the Trojan), reinstalled Windows XP, installed Warcraft III and Warcraft III The Frozen Throne and When I load the Frozen Throne I am now greeted with this error message: Please verify that your Frozen Throne disc is in your CD-Rom drive, and click retry.

AVG 8.0 Free Edition detects a threat and it turned up the following file: File Name: C:\DOCUME~1\ADMIN~1\LOCALS~1\TEMP\sintfnt.dll
Threat Name: Trojan horse Proxy.ACQH

This Trojan Horse is a pain in my ass it just won't go away. I can heal the file, but the minute I try loading the game the same alert pops up. Has anyone else had this issue before?

Its probably propagating through your system faster than it can be cleaned. You need to isolate the running process. Your best bet would be to boot in safe mode and do a full scan and don't "isolate" the infected item, have AVG remove it completely.

I have also seen spyware that gets red as a virus, so of course the virus scanner deletes it but the spyware just re-downloads the fire. I ended using window defender (its free for xp users) and it deleted the problem easly and never came back.

I downloaded, installed, and ran Windows Defender and the scan came back clean.

I've been doing alot of research and it may actually be what's known as a False Positive. I'm going to scan my system with another anti-virus program.

you can also check your registry to make sure the path to the wc3 directory and .exe are correct.

start > run > regedit > ok > HK_Current_User > Software > Blizzard Entertainment > Warcraft III >

now select the warcraft III folder and check out the install path and program registries. if those don't exist create them (right click, new, string value, call one InstallPath, and the other Program).

I had to do this because I had never actually installed wc3 on this computer, I simply coppied the directory over from my old computer.

I seached a little more on google.com and found the solution. (Firstly, it has to do with AVG's Resident Shield). Without further ado here's the solution:

1) Launch AVD Anti-Virus program
2) Go to the Tools menu
3) Choose Advanced Settings
4) Select the Resident Shield option in the left window pane
5) Uncheck "Enable" Resident Shield
6) Click Apply (Do not exit out of AVG)
7) Launch Warcraft III
8) Once the error message appears, press Alt-Tab, and then go back to the Advanced AVG Settings dialog box and re-check enable Resident Shield.
9) Click "OK"

Back