Tritton TRI-ASA2120 web server, Ne1?

TBONEU

Limp Gawd
I'm thinking of getting this: http://www.trittonsales.com/Networking/tri-asa2120.htm for a cheap solution for LAN parties to host patches and such. Also, I like the idea that I can have a web server for hosting famliy photos and other small files for friends and family.

Has any one used one? I'm not interested in build a linux machine, I want something portable and easy to use.

Thanks.

Originally posted by TBONEU
...I'm not interested in build a linux machine, I want something portable and easy to use.

You supported an argument with something completely unrelated...linux has no relation to portability.

In fact, linux may even make your device more portable...but that's not the issue.

You can certainly build and configure a filesever of equal or greater value for a cheaper price than the above mentioned device.

Use windows if you don't like linux...

I should have said, "I don't care to mess with linux as an OS because I don't know it well enough." I haven't seen any cheaper options. I don't have any spare parts to build a fileserver system. So I think for my needs this device might do. Do you know of any other ones?

Thanks.

maybe i just missed it but i didn't see a price..

in my opinion you'd be better off just building a cheap fileserver.. you can put windows on it, and then it could actually run programs, for example if you had a lan, you could run a dedicated server.

while a file server isn't as portable, you can set it up so you don't need a monitor, keyboard, mouse, anything... just pick up the box and move it.. just admin everything remotely..

Toshiba make one, I can't remember the name, but it looks a lot better than the one you had showed us... it also supports 2x hard drives, wireless, built in 8port switch and runs Linux (but runs Samba for example for network sharing), however before you rule this out, everything is configured using a web interface (VERY easy to use, similar to an RaQ in effect)

Toshiba make one, I can't remember the name,

Well I searched for it and can't seem to find it any where on the Net. Any know of this device? Is it under $350

Thanks

Search for Toshiba Magnia. I don't believe you'll find one for under $350. For the price, I'd say that box isn't bad. It'd be nice if they'd let you try out the web interface that it has to really get a feel for it. I don't know what parts you have sitting around but building a box of your own and putting clarkconnect on it would do everything that you're looking at doing.

Thanks fgr the search Rosco!

That Toshiba is no way near what I need for what I plan to do. Not to bash but for someone (*cough* Richard Perry *cough*) to suggest this for a simple sharing device for LAN games and for private web server for family & friends, is like telling a teenage driver who wants a cheap but good dependable car to go buy a Humvee instead!

I was hoping for a closer comparison to what I was looking at (Tritton).

Thanks.

Back