• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Tripods and heads advice

BillLeeLee

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jul 2, 2003
Messages
13,486
So I've been looking at tripods and heads since I generally shoot at lowlight or in the nighttime (or indoors and I sometimes don't use flash), and I've been trying to narrow down my choices. However, I need some advice from the more experienced photogs and gear people.

Now, I shoot with D70, and currently only use two lenses - the 18-70 mm and the 50/1.8. Just been reintroducing myself to photography over the past half year and getting used to SLRs and such.

In my mind, I'll never shoot something on the level of a Canon 1Ds or Nikon D2x (you know, the heavy cameras) or small medium format and I'll probably never use a 300 mm/2.8 or greater. The highest I could envision myself using is a camera body like the D20 or a D100, and for a lens, the heaviest probably the 70/80 - 200 mm ones.

So it's not like I need a top of the line pro ball head like a Markins or Kirk, but something reasonable and still rigid with locked and smooth to move. I currently use a pan and tilt (some kodak), and ball heads are a lot nicer to use when I demoed them out at a camera store.

As for legs, I really liked the Manfrotto 3011Pro and 3021Pro legs, those would be good enough for me, and they're pretty lightweight.

Any suggestions? Or maybe I should just stick to my pan and tilt for now? :confused:

Thanks.
 
The rull of thumb goes, "the heaver the better" for tripods. but I would recommend ManFrotto, They make great stuff. And you really cant go wrong with them. But like all things good, it does cost a bit more. I personally like the "ball" style head, you get a great range of motion, and flexiblity with the stablitiy you need.

Reguardless of the camera, a tripod is universal, and Dont fall into the trap like I did, I went with a cheap tripod (poor college student) and it broke ~ 2 months, of light use. So I wouldn't skimp with a tripod.

Hope this helps
 
Yep, that's why the leg set I'm looking at are the Manfrotto 3011/3021s. :D My kodak tripod is flimsy as hell, even when the legs aren't fully extended, and when I was taking long exposure shots at night, I was bracing the legs because it was starting to shake from the 5 mph wind. Yeah...I wasn't very happy with that.

The ballhead is really what I want advice on, because I like photography and nice lenses, but $350 for something like a Markins M10 is something I don't think is really necessary since I don't use heavy bodies and long long lenses.

But yeah, I do agree with you on the smoothness and control of a ball head. Pan and tilts like the one I'm using requires to much messing around with more knobs than should be necessary.

Thanks for the advice. :)
 
Back
Top