Tripod head where you can rotate camera in-place?

Cerulean

[H]F Junkie
Greetings,

I am wondering if anyone knows of a good tripod head where it is possible to rotate a DSLR in-place vs pivoting the entire camera for portrait shots (or when taking panoramas in close spaces / objects blurred in both foreground and background with subject focused in-between). Would be awesome to know of some products that I could add to my list of things to get later

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think it is. I'm trying to avoid this:

09ed78168f7352c1214d6518d0969a93-412x363.jpg

That's what I mean by pivot.

I guess the better way to word what I'm trying to say is that I would like to ROLL my camera while maintaining the origin at the center of the lens (from a front/behind view), rather than have the origin roughly at the bottom-left corner of my camera body and effectively shifting the entire camera out-of-space. If I'm doing a panorama and I have my camera pivoted at 90 degrees (camera is no longer directly above the base of head/rotating point on tripod), it will result in some awful distortions in perspective.

Yaw%20Pitch%20Roll.jpg

This is what I am trying to do without moving the horizontal origin from the base plate/rotation point of tripod pole.

This is what it currently is (and as it looks, a ball head would be no different)
AdoramaTripod8.jpg

(was so difficult to find an example picture :( )

Another example how it is right now (the very thing I'm trying to avoid while still having portrait orientation):
5307424801_e38476bd4c.jpg

The way I imagine it in my head is that you'd have this tripod head mount that is perhaps 1/4 of a circle ring; there would be a slider upon which you could calibrate the location of the yaw origin so that when you rotate your camera from (3pi)/2 to 2pi the center of your lens is maintained as much as possible at the same physical coordinates without ever having moved your tripod.

EDIT: ah, saw this on Google Images
mpu100_11.jpg

Last edited:
^That's an L-plate, though. So every time you want to switch between landscape and portrait, you'll have to unlock the camera from the tripod. It does offer more stability, however.

It's rather ridiculous how much l-brackets cost when you think about what they are, but I guess they're unfortunately just not high volume items.

What you are describing is a rotating gimbal mount or what can be accomplished with just about any mount and a lens tripod ring. The issue is not all lenses will work with/have available a tripod ring and you will need one for each lens.

You are better off dealing with the tiny bit of shift you will get from a normal ball or tilt head.

It's rather ridiculous how much l-brackets cost when you think about what they are, but I guess they're unfortunately just not high volume items.
True, but it's basically a one time purchase (per camera body). So really, $100 isn't all that bad :p

True, but it's basically a one time purchase (per camera body). So really, $100 isn't all that bad :p

$100 is cheap, RRS is usually in the $120-$200 range lol

Honestly the scarier thing is how much a good tripod/head will set you back.

$100 is cheap, RRS is usually in the $120-$200 range lol

Honestly the scarier thing is how much a good tripod/head will set you back.
All my plates are RRS, actually. :p

You do bring up a good point. My tripod+ball head set me back one grand. :rolleyes: (Gitzo CF + Markins head).

What you are looking for is a panoramic tripod head.

A panoramic head is not the same as a Gimbal head.

Such as:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Panoram...363?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d09511843

http://gregwired.com/pano/Pano.htm

http://www.nodalninja.com/

http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Panoramic-Tripod-Head

The Ebay one is the one I bought. The quick release mounts are not compatible with Arca\Swiss plates from what I have heard, and the rotator on the arm needs to be modded with a thin plastic shim to have good staying power. At least it didn't seem to be tight enough for me as it came.

The others I listed are probably a better option if you don't want to mess with having to mod it out of the box.

This type of head will give you exactly what you are looking for.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What you are describing is a rotating gimbal mount or what can be accomplished with just about any mount and a lens tripod ring. The issue is not all lenses will work with/have available a tripod ring and you will need one for each lens.

You are better off dealing with the tiny bit of shift you will get from a normal ball or tilt head.

Nope, not a gimbal head. A panoramic head, made specifically to handle panoramic shots without having to deal with the misalignment.

No lens tripod ring needed.

From what I have seen, the absolute only purpose of a Gimbal mount is to give a good center of gravity for large lenses. Will not work properly for what the OP wants.

Nope, not a gimbal head. A panoramic head, made specifically to handle panoramic shots without having to deal with the misalignment.

No lens tripod ring needed.

From what I have seen, the absolute only purpose of a Gimbal mount is to give a good center of gravity for large lenses. Will not work properly for what the OP wants.

A gimbal with tripod ring will rotate the camera/lens on the axis the OP is speaking of, but yes a full pano head is probably better.

Gimbals balance the load around the center of gravity, which is very helpful when using a tripod ring. It also happens to enable the camera to swivel on an axis similar to a pano head (the side swivel).

A gimbal with tripod ring will rotate the camera/lens on the axis the OP is speaking of, but yes a full pano head is probably better.

Gimbals balance the load around the center of gravity, which is very helpful when using a tripod ring. It also happens to enable the camera to swivel on an axis similar to a pano head (the side swivel).

You won't keep the nodal point with a gimbal though.

You could rotate the camera with the tripod ring for the one axis, but the other two are not going to be on the nodal point.

This is what I had in my mind at OP:

tripodheadpiece_panorama-portrait-landscape-aio.png

Without ever having to unmount the camera, once calibrated, you can rotate the yaw of your camera a full 360 degrees (no limits!) while maintaining the calibrated end-of-barrel origin (which is what you would have calibrated for), and with the optional piece be able to modify the Z-axis of the entire mount so that you can scoot the end-of-barrel origin closer or farther from the base/tripod head origin.

Now if you could somehow manage to fit this on a gimbal, then full 360-spherical capability is at your hand (though at that point you might be better off just buying a Gigapan Epic Pro robotic gigapixel camera mount). You would calibrate your contraption as such so that any rotation x/y/z you make, the end-of-barrel origin would be maintained as much as possible.

But if you're not aiming for full spherical and just want to capture simple panos by hand, a product like this could be cheaper and more flexible; more control in the hand of the photographer.

EDIT: Just to restate -- this isn't meant for gimbals or spherical panos. This would be a full-time dedicated replacement or add-on as a tripod head or ball joint head respectively.

EDIT2: I'm just looking for a simple way to rotate the camera's yaw orientation IN PLACE. Whether or not you use ball joint tripod head, when you change orientation you're shifting the ENTIRE camera into a totally foreign physical space; the origin is at the tripod head instead of the camera. The idea of having to completely remount (L-shaped bracket solution) I think is stupid and not practical / logical engineering.

EDIT3: "camera flip bracket" might be the solution. link just have to find the right one.

EDIT4: Digital Pro-M rotating bracket kit
custom-brackets_9512.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back