• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Triple Projector Setup

Joined
Jan 31, 2012
Messages
55
I recently built a PC gaming room. Looks like this
359cnph.jpg


Ive been thinking about installing a pull down projector screen and hooking up 3 cheap 3d Vision projectors in portrait mode attached to the ceiling.

I'm also going to be upgrading to a 2560x1600 (maybe 1440) monitor and getting rid of the secondary monitor on the right.

I will be using the 2560x1600 for gaming as well (RTS.)
Will i be able to hook up 1x 2560x1600 monitor and 3 720p projectors in portrait 3d vision surround?

Also what do you guys think of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009223

Will I be able to pump out 60 FPS per eye in 3d Surround with 3 of those projectors?
 
3D vision surround doesn't work in portrait. Also, placing projectors in portrait is usually a bad idea - most don't have horizontal lens offset so they end up in front of your face or right behind your head.
 
I didn't think they would have horizontal lense adjustments. Damn. I guess I'll have to be content with 1080p when playing on the projector then.

Edit. : no 1080p 120hz projectors for some reason. I 720p is much less appealing.
 
Last edited:
3D vision surround doesn't work in portrait. Also, placing projectors in portrait is usually a bad idea - most don't have horizontal lens offset so they end up in front of your face or right behind your head.

3D Vision surround does work with projectors. A couple of people have made it work with little effort. See the last post on the first page of the link:

On a whim I turned off 3D Vision and set portrait rotation on my Surround grouping in the control panel and then turned on 3D Vision again. The 3D Vision wizard works on portrait rotated projectors. Here is portrait rotation on the two projectors (ofcourse without them being mounted portrait at the moment) :D

IMHO, this opens up more interesting 2304x1024 and 2400x1280 options to me if I get that third projector. It's dumb the drivers tell you portrait rotation S3D doesn't work, when clearly it does.

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=105&t=13208&start=45
 
If you read the rest of that thread he says its very buggy.

But when you look at the nvidia website:
What resolutions does Surround support?
Surround requires three displays to operate. Surround resolutions are calculated by arranging your monitors in portrait or landscape mode and then multiplying the horizontal resolution by three times a single display in that mode (portrait or landscape).

The following table illustrates some common aspect ratios and resolutions:


Standard Displays

Landscape Mode

Portrait Mode
4:3
1280x1024
12:3
3840x1024
9:4
3072x1280
16:9
1920x1080
48:9
5760x1080
27:16
3240x1920
16:10
1920x1200
48:10
5760x1200
15:8
3600x1920
Note: 3D Vision-Ready LCDs do not support portrait mode. However, you can run 3D Vision Surround with 3D projectors in portrait mode.
So it looks like theyve added support with a driver update.
 
If you read the rest of that thread he says its very buggy.

But when you look at the nvidia website:

So it looks like theyve added support with a driver update.

Yeah, just checked that myself. Seems like a portrait configuration is possible now for 2D Surround. 3D Surround is still unsupported though.

Placement for portrait surround projectors is still an issue unless you have the space for a reverse projection setup.

M.
 
Back
Top