Triple monitor on 1 card (590?)

Rajveer

Limp Gawd
I'm currently running 2 GTX 460s in SLI and am running a triple monitor setup for work, but I play games on a single screen (I don't like the way surround/eyefinity is implemented and prefer a single display, also the higher fps). Since SLI can only run 2 cards, I find that whenever I want to play a game I have to change the settings in the nVidia control panel.

Does the GTX 590 handle things differently? Does the driver see the 590 running as 2 separate cards, or a single? If I got this card would I have to keep switching between "Maximise Performance" and "Activate All Displays" like I currently have to?

I would get a cheap GT430 or HD5550 or something along those lines to handle the secondary monitors, since you aren't using them for gaming.

The GTX 590 and other dual GPU cards are seen as two separate cards. It won't be any different from your current 460 SLI setup in terms of how it works.

I'm pretty sure the 590 will show up in the nvidia panel as two gpus in SLI, the same as having two separate cards.

Ive never tried but it does show up as 2 cards, I know it also allows 4 concurrent monitors. Would I have to have 3 more monitors to test it for you? I only have access to 2 at home.

Thanks guys, I'm now looking into a separate card to drive the third display. The only spare slot I have is a PCI-E x1 with a closed end, so will have to specifically buy a x1 graphics card. Any good suggestions?

z3r0: In SLI mode I can only use 2 monitors (not good for work), and in "Activate all Displays" mode I can't enable SLI (not good for gaming).

What do you have on your x58 board that makes you not have a free x16 slot? I can see the x-fi sitting in the PCI-E x1 slot right above the first PCI-E x16 slot, then the next four slots with the 460, and then the last x16 slot for what?

Heh, good point, totally forgot that my X-fi is a x1 card. Currently it's in the bottom slot, this was because I didn't want the heat from the top card to hit the X-fi card (I don't remember 100% but I think I tried that for a while and used to get a crackling effect due to heat). I'll put it into the top x1 slot again and see how things go, if everything is ok I'll keep it there and get a GT430 or something.

Thanks all!

Back