Triple monitor/Eyefinity 1x26 and 2x24s? Any pics?

AK_47

Weaksauce
I'm looking to go eyefinity really soon and was wondering how would adding 2x24' Asus VW246Hs look with my current VW266h? If anyone got something similar atm (in action/ gaming pref) would appreciate the pics.

Thanks,
AK

Different screen sizes, would not work right, and besides, landscape eyefinity looks like poo with a lot of fishbowl on some games, huds stretched to extreme corners, and since only the center view is useful for looking at directly you need to mouse-scroll the camera in some titles which is near impossible since you have to drag the mouse across three large displays.

5347212594_552da39632_b.jpg

Trust me, for all but a handful of the "gold" rated qualified games on ATIs site, eyefinity is not worth it unless you're willing to go with a portrait setup.

Save yourself some money and get a larger monitor or low-lag 32"-42" LED LCD TV (in "gaming mode" many have now, the performance is great).

I have and love my 30" monitor and I came from having 3x23s and hated them, I couldn't imagine having 2 different sizes of monitors.

If you really want eyefinity, use 3 of the same... but I personally think eyefinity was the single worst thing I ever got into as far as PC/Gaming goes and I got out of it really quickly

I have and love my 30" monitor and I came from having 3x23s and hated them, I couldn't imagine having 2 different sizes of monitors.
Amen, I picked up the Dell 30" U3011 on sale (although still pricey) and, just, WOW! <3 My 3x24" setup before it in eyefinity just had too many little issues (some perhaps adapter related), and ended in frustration trying to fix the ultra-wide ratio problems in all my titles and ultimately disaster as I even ended up dropping one of them trying to see if it wouldn't be so horrible in portrait, lol! Perhaps in the future it will be better, but with so much cross-development in consoles now and three monitors being such a niche due to cost and desk-space requirements, I just don't see game developers investing much in the near future to fix the problems.

"Those who fail to learn from the mistakes of their predecessors are destined to repeat them." - George Santayana

ya a 30" might be "pricey" but I have never seen 3 24" monitors worth putting in Eyefinity mode being cheap, even if they were only $300 then you are talking bout $900 worth of monitor...

I sold my monitors and paid another few and got this 30" really not that big of different, both cost a large piggy bank.

Viewing angle is a HUGE thing to look at when looking into spex for monitors... if you do it make sure you get REALLY wide viewing angle monitors, because even the wide viewing angle ones don't do it, image starts becoming unclear quickly, sure it is "viewable" but not 100% clear.

Wanted to say thanks to you all for heads up, but I think I will still test the eyefinity setup first hand. It is not just for play but work as well. 2x30s are way out of my budget atm, but adding 2 more VW266hs for $450 after rebates is pretty reasonable.

For sure, it really does make for a great work space, I loved it for programming on.

But I just know you will be more happy with 3 of the same monitors. so I am glad you made the right choose and got 2 more 26"

The 3D 23" lcd's are around $350 each. I've been reading up on triple 3D setups. Prior to this I was mainly considering a 30" hp, but I want to know all options before I drop $.

The 23" lcd's are 2ms and 120hz (back to 60hz each flicker image in 3d mode though I think). High contrast ratio. And still a lot of desktop real estate when not gaming. And of course.. 3D option is cool. Bezels are ugly and annoying I have to agree , but I suggest you watch some HD videos of people using them to get a better idea than still pictures..

Mafia 2 on 3x 30" 2560x1600's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP2rsMbqrfM

Batman Arcan. Asylum on 3x 23" 3D 1080p's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnaPtDArQ2A&feature=channel

I do like the idea of having a 30" monitor in middle , with auxillary desktop monitors in portrait mode on the sides though too. Eyefinity and nvidia 3d surround do not worth with mixed portrait/landscape mode though.. at least not yet. And 3D most definitely does not work with portrait mode. And of course, there are no 30" monitors that support 3d at the moment, other than perhaps some 32" tv's.

Borrowed this pic from the "show your lcd setup" thread:

11.jpg

So I'm still undecided. Thanks for your posts here and the op for asking around.. I am getting some good opinions. Ducman69's take on it is making me lean back twd the 30" now a bit.

for gamers, 120hz when not in 3d mode is another bonus on the 23" 3D monitors, so eyefinity/nvidia surround would give you a lot of desktop real-estate without being 'limited' to 60hz and ips response times that a 30" has.

tough decision.

Just a reminder.. if you are going to use windowed mode in order to run P-L-P games using a 30" in the middle - crossfire doesn't work in windowed mode, while nvidia sli does. I'm still considering single card ati solution but if I change my mind and go sli the windowed mode issue would make a huge difference.

Yes 20", probably Dell 2007 FP. Not made anymore, so you'd need refurbs. Symmetry might look nice but it still won't work for gaming 90% of the time.

Anyway there is one user here, Zorachus, who tried 27" + 2x24" and he liked the mismatch. Makes sense to me. I will be trying 27" + 2x22" myself.

Can you just game on just the middle monitor with the mismatch in size/resolution? I'd use the side monitors for auxiliary browsing and things like that.

You can game on any three monitors if they have the same resolution, regardless of size. Otherwise, yeah, just the center monitor, with Surround or Eyefinity.

ELVN Wrote:

The 3D 23" lcd's are around $350 each. I've been reading up on triple 3D setups. Prior to this I was mainly considering a 30" hp, but I want to know all options before I drop $.

The 23" lcd's are 2ms and 120hz (back to 60hz each flicker image in 3d mode though I think). High contrast ratio. And still a lot of desktop real estate when not gaming. And of course.. 3D option is cool. Bezels are ugly and annoying I have to agree , but I suggest you watch some HD videos of people using them to get a better idea than still pictures..

Doing surround in 3D takes some serious horsepower. You effectively cut your framerate in half on the single monitor and by 6 on 3 monitors. Also the surround in Nvidia requires the SAME monitor, not so in Eyefinity which just wants the same resolution. (Unless Nvidia did some changes to its specs lately) If one of your monitors dies you have to try and find another of the same type with Nvidia. That may be a problem down the road and a major re-investment in like monitors.

I agree and have given up on the 3d thing this time around. Thank you for trying to give me a heads up about that before I drop $ on stuff. The more I've read and been mulling it over -- I'm now looking at either two more hannsg 28" 1920x1200 tn screens ($250 ea.) to go with the 28" hannspree I already own + a beefy ati card next month for eyefinity.. something like this guy's off the "Show your lcd" thread:

http://3dalchemist.com/images/lcds/HannsG-28-eyefinity_IMG_0309.jpg

or I've been looking at a single $1k 27" 2560x1440 apple cinema display, which I believe is basically the 16:9 version of a 30" (2560x1600) ips .. and it looks incredible to me.

AG coating
The other mfg's newest 27" and 30" ips models all have an over aggressive anti-glare (AG) coating according to the reviews and threads I've been reading. They say it distorts small text and sparkles or looks greasy on white backgrounds. Its reportedly so bad (to their tastes) that some people even returned theirs. If i do go for a larger single main screen , it would have to be the apple cinema display aka ACD which is glossy, and also has an LED backlight btw. I've seen the imac version of it at the store and its impressive. I own a 46" samsung led edglit tv and a 17" asus laptop that are both glossy, and I actually prefer glossy as long as I can control my room lighting/location/setup.

P-L-P

By the way I think the side panels in that picture with the 30" screen I put in prev reply are those dell 2007fp 1600x1200, so when spun into portrait mode you get 1600 tall like the 30" 's pixel height. I think samsung and hp have a 1600x1200 model too. You can find refurbs for auction off ebay from delldirect or other reputable sellers. Some games can play in mixed portrait/landscape mode (P-L-P), but they have to run in a window at the desktop resolution. Or you can use a softth 'hack' for fullscreen but it only works with directx 9, and breaks punkbuster functionality on some popular games. Also fyi - sli works in windowed mode and crossfire does not (how well it works idk). You can see some vids of P-L-P gaming on youtube if you search it, and widescreengamingforum.com has a lot of config info and people relating their experiences with it.

If I did a 27" ACD I could do multi-monitor using a few mismatched 22"/23" monitors that I already own for now. I suppose I could look into 1440x900 to turn sideways for the P-L-P "bookend" lcd look for later on. I didn't see any ips 1440x900 screens when I just looked, but there is an asus glossy one (LED backlit) that would prob do the trick at around $120 each (new). 27" + two 19" not exactly what your thread title asked but I'm on a quest and passing along what I find :D

I'm still undecided which way to go, especially since I also need a major gpu upgrade. I can do no interest financing depending where I get the parts, but I don't think I want to go too far over $1k or so all at once. Eyefinity with three 'cheap' TN's is still very attractive too.. :confused:
/end ramble

Here's my own mismatched config:

Resultsx.jpg

Impressions here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1582648

Let me say here that I am very pleased with the Asus LED-lit TN VE278Q. If the 24" and other lower sizes are as good, I wouldn't hesitate going all TN if you're on a budget. Though I still prefer IPS for non-media usage, these particular TNs are markedly better than the Asus 25.5" panels I used to own.

Thanks. I'm going to hop over to that thread and check it out.

Back