• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Triple-head with mixed resolutions (not eyefinity)

panfist

Gawd
Joined
May 1, 2008
Messages
638
Hey, sorry I have to ask this question here, but the documentation from AMD is kinda slim when it comes to anything that's not eyefinity.

I have a 5850 that I want to use to drive three displays for programming and productivity. I have two 1920x1200 monitors and one 1440x900 monitor. I was wondering if it's even possible in any configuration to drive these three monitors, and if it's possible, what's the smartest way to do it?

I was thinking to use a cheap DisplayPort to VGA adapter for the low-res monitor and then drive the two 1920x1200 monitors with the native DVI outputs. I'm not sure which outputs on the card are linked, though.

edit: I was thinking that I'm also looking to buy another 1920x1200 monitor, so maybe getting a DP -> VGA adapter isn't the best idea because I know I won't be happy with an analog connection to the bigger monitor. I guess I need one of the fancier DP -> DVI adpaters. I was looking on monoprice, and it seems that the only one they have that's actually a signal converter and not just a pass-through is for mini-DP only. Grr...
 
Last edited:
it will work. i have two 720p monitors and a 1920x1200. if i turn the display group (eyefinity) off, they function at their independent native rez just fine.
 
edit: I was thinking that I'm also looking to buy another 1920x1200 monitor, so maybe getting a DP -> VGA adapter isn't the best idea because I know I won't be happy with an analog connection to the bigger monitor. I guess I need one of the fancier DP -> DVI adpaters. I was looking on monoprice, and it seems that the only one they have that's actually a signal converter and not just a pass-through is for mini-DP only. Grr...

its not the best idea, but its fine at VGA...

or you could spend a little more for this

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1543709
 
I know 1920x1200 is "fine" with VGA, but I'm going to be using it for programming, so text sharpness is the most important thing, and I can definitely notice a difference between VGA and DVI.

Thanks for the confirmation, paperwastage and wadec22.
 
Hey, I just got some info from a Sapphire support ticket which seems to contradict what I found out here:

me said:
I want to try to connect three monitors to my 5850; I have two 1920x1200 monitors and one 1440x900 monitor. I don't want to connect three monitors for eyefinity gaming. Actually I want to connect three monitors for general use in Windows. I have been looking for documentation that says if you can connect three monitors with different resolutions, because almost all of the documentation about three monitors is concerning 3D gaming. Thanks.

sapphire said:
if you want do get 3 monitor going it will need to either be in clone mode or in eyefinity mode. Does one of your montior uses native Display port connection or active disiplay port adapter? One of these will have to be use in order to get the 3rd monitor working.

me said:
Ok, I can get an active display port adapter, but I need to know if mixed resolutions can be used, or if the higher-res monitors will be forced into a lower resolution to match the 1440x900 monitor.

sapphire said:
Eyefinity will only allow you to choose the proper resolution for the 3 monitor to able to strech out with.
 
It should work just fine as long as you aren't in eyefinity mode.

I've never seen a card with multiple ports that isn't able to set different resolutions for each port.

You don't even have to use CCC to setup multiple monitors. The standard display options allow you to do it.
 
Yea the support guy is right, you can only choose one resolution in Eyefinity, which is monitor + bezel correction (for games at least, I keep bezel correct on, even when I'm on the desktop.) If you want eyefinity your going to need the same resolution monitor with the same bezel width.

You'll be just fine using the monitors in extended mode. Not sure why he said clone. That would mean you would see the same thing on the other monitors.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
I have a mixed setup that I use for Triple screen desktop and eyefinity
For the desktop I have them set to 1440x900 on the left (DVI), 1680x1050 center (DVI), and 1440x900 on the right (DP to VGA Adapter).
When I game in Eyefinity the monitors are all set to 1440x900. Ideally you want the same screens for eyefinity but since you just need triple screens for your desktop, you will be fine.
 
so wait are you all saying you can do eyefinity on monitors with different res?

Eyefinity runs at a common resolution for ALL of the monitors you use... and maybe 1440x900 (16:10, all his monitors are 16:10 at mixed 1920x1200, 1680x1050, 1440x900) is the highest common resolution amongst the monitor
 
Back
Top