Triple Display Setup - Please Advise

RicePapi

Limp Gawd
Hi Guys,

I currently have a dual display setup with two 17" LCD Sony's. My Dell Dimension 2400 with dual-head PCI video card (no agp slot on mobo) is pushing both LCD's. Well, for Christmas, I got another LCD, so now I'm thinking about a triple display setup.

I'm been thinking back and forth about all the options I may have. Right now, the best thing I can think of is to purchase another "cheap" desktop for about $200 to push the 3rd LCD. I could use a KVM switch to toggle inputs, so I can use the same keyboard/mouse/speakers. The purpose of the 3rd LCD is mainly for multimedia: winamp, messengers, Cable TV (tv tuner), and DVD-burning. So basically, I would let the 3rd LCD run with tv or music, and I'll do all my work on the 1st and 2nd display.

So what do you guys think? Any other options? By the way, all three LCD's are standard VGA (D-Sub), with no DVI option.

Some thoughts:

Are there PCI video cards out there with three VGA ports? That might be cheaper than paying for a 2nd desktop.

If running two PCI video cards on the same computer is an option, I'm unable to do that because my Dell Dimension 2400 only has 3 PCI slots. The first 2 slots are already being used by my tv-tuner and wireless lan card.

Here's a pic of my current set up, notice how the monitor on the LEFT is turned off and neglected, hehe ==> http://img160.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img160&image=pict00245es.jpg

Thanks guys! Please Advise! This Noob needs help!

you could always put a second pci video card in but i dunno if they will play well together. I never had good luck with PCI and AGP video cards.

you can get a second PCI card and do it easy...

EDIT:

oops, you need more slots! :p

Yeah, not enough slots. I tried to use the integrated video card off the motherboard to push the 3rd LCD, but my computer locked up. Am I doing something wrong? I hope so, because than there's hope for me to not spend any more money!

I think you might be just pushing your limits with your PC setup, you might think about getting a new motherboard and AGP video card.

All the OCP Gawds are laughing at this noob with an "all show, no go!" set up. :D

I swear to god, that's not the case. I originally purchased the Dimension 2400 with Dell's 17" LCD TV, with the emphasis on "TV". But I got 3 defected TV's in a row, and said screw Dell. One thing lead to another, and I decided to throw in an extra $100 bucks to purchase two 17" Sony's at Newegg ($300/piece) with a TV-tuner card. Then one of the monitors was "slightly" defected, so I had to go through Sony Manufacture to get a replacement. Well, after I got the advance replacement item, those idiots forgot to send me a return packing slip. So then I spent 2 weeks calling them up trying to return their stupid item, but still, no return slip. So I said screw 'em. I'm keeping the LCD and changing my credit card number so they can't charge me. Thus, 3 LCD's. Hehe...

This is probably not cost effective, but they do have external PCI expansion boxes that allow for more PCI slots.

Sell off you two older LCDS and buy a new , up to date rig.

Back