Trillian Alternative?

ZzBloopzZ

[H]ard|Gawd
Are there any good alternatives to Trillian besides Meebo? I want to use a simple chat client that supports AOL, MSN and Yahoo for a Windows XP system.

Have you tried Pidgen or Miranda IM? I have recently switched to Pidgen because the long wait for a trillian update has finally pushed me elsewhere. lol

The only Trillian Alternative I've ever used was Gaim, but it looks like Gaim turned into Pidgen. I haven't tried Pidgen, so maybe it's much better, but I never recommend Gaim to others. I might have to check Pidgen out though.

Pidgin works very well, but Trillian is still the best. I use Trillian installed on computers, but I use Trillian off my PortableApps flash drive.

I used to use trillian, but I've recently switched to pidgin and love it. It seems to have a much smaller footprint as well.

I like Miranda IM myself - extremely customisable, but you have to put some time in finding plugins and setting it up (it's very basic by default). I never got on with Gaim/Pidgin, it felt somehow clunky.

Trying to debate between Trillian and Pidgin. I don't like how the Pidgin's buddy list is huge... rather have a low profile and just see who's online.

Not too big on Miranda. How is Pidgin/Trillian for file transfers?

Trying to debate between Trillian and Pidgin. I don't like how the Pidgin's buddy list is huge... rather have a low profile and just see who's online.

I'm not sure what I changed, or if I changed something at all, but I only see people that are online with Pidgin.

File transfers are pretty straight up, as long as the person you're chatting with can receive it. If they can't (like no file transfers with gmail chat), a message pops up telling you that it doesn't support file transfers. With that said, file transfers aren't really rocket science these days...

Why not try them both out and see what happens. You should get a feel for which one you prefer pretty quick. Granted it's a bit of a hassle, but it's also the only way you'll truly know which one you ultimately prefer. Just make sure you check out the add-ons available for each, since that can make a big difference.

just hide offline buddies in pidgin

I think I'm going to stick with Pidgin. I tried Trillian a year ago and hated it... I assume it is the same thing now because they barley update it. If they do update it is just for security updates.

I also like the fact that Pidgin is open source. Also, I skimmed down the Pidgin buddy list by going to the buddies menu and then the show sub menu and deselecting details and offline buddies. Now I can see my entire buddy list with out having to do crazy scrolling. I also like how it is using only 10MB of RAM.

Another vote for Pidgin. Check out the Off the record plugin. Quite nifty.

I ended up trying out the latest Trillian Basic... it wasn't too bad but I deff like pidgin alot better!

Thanks guys!

Back