Triggering Windows Automatic Update?

John G.

Limp Gawd
So I'm sitting here on a new installation of Windows XP w/ SP2, but I'd like to install the latest security updates. For some reason, AutoUpdate isn't launching like it normally does. Does anyone know how to force it to launch?

Note the distinction between Windows Update and Automatic Update... the former is in the start menu and redirects you to a silly website. The latter sits in your tray and does all the work for you quietly.

Thanks all.

Start / Control panel / Security center/...... then turn on automatic updates

Did that, but nothing happens. Been waiting hours now. The set time it's supposed to happen has come and gone, and I've set it at a future time only to have nothing happen again. It's a puzzlement.

What exactly are you expecting to happen? Automatic Updates downloads the latest security updates albeit slowly depending on your connection speed and use of your computer.

When the downloads are on your system and ready to be installed, it will prompt you to do so. Be patient.

Any *valid* reason why you can't just go to the website?

Go to the web site, sign up for Microsoft updates instead of Windows Updates. Run gpedit.msc. Load the wuau.adm admin template for the local computer. You can change the check interval to what ever you want instead of the default 22 hours.

nessus said:
Go to the web site, sign up for Microsoft updates instead of Windows Updates. Run gpedit.msc. Load the wuau.adm admin template for the local computer. You can change the check interval to what ever you want instead of the default 22 hours.

Thanks for the help dude. :)

I'm actually doing this on a parent's computer. So not going to the website isn't a matter of validity (;)), it's just that Windows Update won't do for those not too technologically inclined. It needs to be automatic. I was just afraid something wasn't working and it wouldn't automatically secure her computer in the future, like it needs to be able to do.

Anyway, it's all taken care of now. Thanks all.

Stop the update service, delete the registry key that tracks the when it last checked for updates and then restart the update service. If there are updates, you should see them in a few minutes. If you google a bit, you can find the name of the reg key.

I had to do this fairly often at my last job because we had our own local update server and a slow link to the outside world.

To force a windows automatic update check, execute

wuauclt.exe /detectnow

useful if automatic updates checks a local server for updates.

Back