Trifire 290x PSU Choice?

seaneboy

Limp Gawd
Ok, so I am building 4930k, XFX 290x Trifire setup.. MAINLY to game, however why the heck not mine while I'm at work, sleeping, not gaming, etc... This system will be watercooled. (3) 360s w/GTs on push/pull.

My question is this.. What is the 'correct' way to go about a PSU? Dual psu setup? Or, one big monster? Why do I feel like all PSU reviews blow (literally!)?!

It is known even in Westeros that a single PSU is always better than two.

In your case, you're looking at 330W per 290X under full load (double check that), plus CPU and your fans. I assume you're running a SSD, which isn't power hungry.

I would go for a good 1200W PSU that is rated gold. Corsair & Seasonic are usually my go-to companies for PSUs.

You've been looking at the wrong units.

Hah, well I thought I looked at good ones, but perhaps I only looked at those in stock, which all had crap for reviews.. Probably the reason why they were in stock...

It is known even in Westeros that a single PSU is always better than two.

Thank you so much for that info, that's basically what I wanted to know. I had a Seasonic 1000w on order, but canceled when I went for trifire... So, Seasonic has an X-1250, and Corsair goes to the AX1500i. If I'm going to mine, should I go for the 1500w?

If you are going to mine getting a 1500W would leave you some room to add another card later.

Otherwise the X-1250 will do.

Friend of mine runs 3x 290 + 1 280x on an evga supernova 1300. I all soon run 2*290x+2*280x on the same unit And its gold rated. Quiet too. Though I can't hear much over the shriek of satans pet birds whirling at 80% fan speed

...Thanks for the info.. Of course it's just another PSU that is not available anywhere...

Last edited:
Back