Tried To Go Team Red

Ocellaris

Fully [H]
First I tried a MSI R9 390 and it had bad coil whine anytime the GPU was loaded. Decided to go with a Strix R9 390 because I like the design and the card was almost the exact size I could fit into my case. Freaking loved the Strix design from the moment I pulled it out of the box. Got it running and survey says...

Fan rattle :mad::mad::mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8mv-mPhPIw

Cell phone camera is pointed down into the top of my case. I start the video at by going to 40% fan speed, then raise it in 5% increments. Rattling starts at 45% speed. Around 24 seconds in the fans are at 55% and you can really hear it.

Disappointed that I can't manage to get an AMD card without a bad flaw. This Strix is better than MSI on the coil whine, however this fan is going drive me mad. This Asus has coil whine as well, just nothing bad that I would return for. The Strix runs pretty hot at stock fan profile (which never goes above 40%) so I was using profiles in Asus GPU Tweak II. Sending back to Amazon, not sure if I am going to get a refund or replacement now. I can't fit a Sapphire 390 since my case only fits 304mm, this Asus is 300mm, the Sapphire is 308mm.

Jesus Christ... that would drive me nuts.. and I am pretty relaxed when it comes to PC noises.

Jesus Christ... that would drive me nuts.. and I am pretty relaxed when it comes to PC noises.

I initially thought the noise was coming from a cable starting to vibrate when the Strix fans kicked on. While the Patriots Broncos game was on I rerouted a few cables and secured every cable with more zip ties than I was already using. So at least I have that going for me...

In other fun information, the card sounds like a hovercraft if you put the fans to 100%. The fans go to just under 4K RPM and you can hear every bit of it :D :eek:

Last edited:
That's unbearable, I'd get rid of that card ASAP.

Although what do you expect if you manually set the fans to 100%? They'll never run that fast in automatic mode, it's nice that they give you the option should you want it.

well.....even a 100% it should not rattle....louder yes...but rattle NO!....Thats some bullshit luck for sure lol...Maybe amazon get you a perfect one next go round:D My only question is this to replace the 970? thats close to a side grade is it not?

You do realize it's MSI and Asus not AMD that made those cards? It has nothing to do with "Team Red".

I'd go with Sapphire or XFX, depending on deal you can get and cae fit. I know the Sapphire cards a really long. 3rd choice would be Powercolor. MSI and Asus would be further down my list.

That's unbearable, I'd get rid of that card ASAP.

Although what do you expect if you manually set the fans to 100%? They'll never run that fast in automatic mode, it's nice that they give you the option should you want it.

That rattle happens happens from 45% to around 65%, the fans never go above 55 or 60% in the video. I don't mind the hovercraft at 100%, never a reason to push that high anyway.

Last edited:
Sapphire all the way, They make some great cards.

Too long by half a centimeter :(

You do realize it's MSI and Asus not AMD that made those cards? It has nothing to do with "Team Red".

I'd go with Sapphire or XFX, depending on deal you can get and cae fit. I know the Sapphire cards a really long. 3rd choice would be Powercolor. MSI and Asus would be further down my list.

Sure AMD doesn't make the cards, however MSI and Asus shouldn't be faulted for the difficulty in making huge coolers and power delivery components for such high energy use GPUs. There are a lot of mid range Nvidia cards under 12 inches long because the power use is so much lower. I'm not trying to sound like a bitch, I'm just really frustrated.

Can't get a Sapphire and don't want a XFX card, I think those XFX coolers look hideous. Plus I had a "Double Disappation" + "Ghost Armor" AMD R7 card last year and thought the cooler felt cheap as hell. Probably not the best idea for XFX to use the same cooler branding on excellent and terrible cards... I'm sitting on a GTX 970, I just want something different. I'll look into PowerColor.

Update: PowerColor is too long by 1mm, which I presume would mean it would be rubbing against the hard drive cage of my case. Also it looks like it would be hard to wedge into place due to the height of the cooler. So close... :(

Last edited:
Too long by half a centimeter :(

Sure AMD doesn't make the cards, however MSI and Asus shouldn't be faulted for the difficulty in making huge coolers and power delivery components for such high energy use GPUs. There are a lot of mid range Nvidia cards under 12 inches long because the power use is so much lower. I'm not trying to sound like a bitch, I'm just really frustrated.

Can't get a Sapphire and don't want a XFX card, I think those XFX coolers look hideous. Plus I had a "Double Disappation" + "Ghost Armor" AMD R7 card last year and thought the cooler felt cheap as hell. Probably not the best idea for XFX to use the same cooler branding on excellent and terrible cards... I'm sitting on a GTX 970, I just want something different. I'll look into PowerColor.

Update: PowerColor is too long by 1mm, which I presume would mean it would be rubbing against the hard drive cage of my case. Also it looks like it would be hard to wedge into place due to the height of the cooler. So close... :(

Actually it is all MSI/Asus's fault. To each his own though. You get to spend your money where you want to. If the cosmetics of the XFX is putting you off them buy a prettier card and hope for the best.

Reactions: Curl
like this
Sure AMD doesn't make the cards, however MSI and Asus shouldn't be faulted for the difficulty in making huge coolers and power delivery components for such high energy use GPUs.
Blaming AMD for one card with coil whine (happens to Nvidia cards also) or a bad fan (happens to Nvidia cards also) is ridiculous.

Reactions: Curl
like this
It's only trolling if I made it up :eek:

Sure AMD doesn't make the cards, however MSI and Asus shouldn't be faulted for the difficulty in making huge coolers and power delivery components for such high energy use GPUs.

There are a lot of mid range Nvidia cards under 12 inches long because the power use is so much lower. I'm not trying to sound like a bitch, I'm just really frustrated.

Here's the parts I have a problem with.

The part where AMD made a bunch of midrange 250W+ cards?

when you consider the price range, you get far better value/power with AMD below the flagships. So I am not sure it is valid to complain about getting powerful cards at cheaper prices than the equivalents with the competition.

when you consider the price range, you get far better value/power with AMD below the flagships. So I am not sure it is valid to complain about getting powerful cards at cheaper prices than the equivalents with the competition.

Well prices weren't mentioned, just the size of the cooler due to heat output. You can't be mad that a hotter card needs a physically bigger cooler, besides which I think most of the AMD coolers look better (the Tri-X looks great).

The part where AMD made a bunch of midrange 250W+ cards?

No the part where he starts a thread saying "Tried To Go Team Red" and then blames AMD for designing "high energy use GPUs" and lauds Nvidia for having low power midrange.

OP - Go buy a 980ti Strix and complain about the same fan rattle over in the Nvidia forum. Its the same cooler with the same fans. Read the [H] review and look at the power consumption. Blaming AMD is an attempt to troll IMO. :rolleyes:

If you want good quality, buy a Sapphire. If you want the best support, go XFX. If you want a rattle free fan get a waterblock.

I've got a Strix 390 and have a pretty aggressive custom fan profile set.

The fan never rattles one bit. I have never heard coil whine either, even when fully loaded.

My old 7970s used to have coil whine, but only in a few of the 3DMark lower end tests when the frame rate would be well over 1000.

Mine is mounted with the fans on the top side though because my case is old and the board is mounted on the opposite side of what most newer cases are.

The heat pipes also probably work more efficiently this way as well.

lol, wait....you tried to go team red, but because the fan is jacked up, and the card probably needs rma'd back to ASUS because of faulty craftsmanship, you can't go team red?

I'm embarrassed for you.....:rolleyes:

Must have been the heat of the GPU that overheated the fans to cause a rattle. Might want to check your CPU too because that AMD GPU might have overheated that too.

Seriously though, Asus probably uses sleeve bearing fans on the Strix which are not ideal in the Horizontal mounting position. Beats me why many AIBs still use them.

Back