• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Tricky dual channel oc problem on barton 2500+

oldpablo

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
May 31, 2003
Messages
6,352
My HTPC is a barton 2500+ that I've had forever and never gotten around to overclocking it. So I decided to at least do the "freebie" 200 FSB overclock to make it a 3200+ and probably leave it at that. I'm keeping the FSB and RAM synced as well. So after playing the voltage step game and changing BIOS settings I found some odd behaviour. I can set the FSB to 200 in the BIOS, but it won't boot if I have the ram in dual channel slots. It gives off the RAM two tone beep. If I clock it back to 166 it runs perfectly fine in prime95, etc. I can also set it to 200 and put the RAM in single channel slots and it also boots and runs prime95 stable. However, if I leave it at 166/dual channel with the cpu voltage bump, and then boot into windows and change the fsb via clockgen to 200, it'll run no problem for hours in prime95 and is basically completely stable. So why does it work fine with 200/dual channel while already in windows, but won't in the BIOS? I even went a hair over 200 in clockgen in case the BIOS and clockgen weren't doing their math the same.

System is below:

Abit NF7S-2G (nForce2 MCP-S)
Barton 2500+ (unlocked though I'm not messing with multipliers)
2x512 OCZ Premier PC3200 3-3-3-8
Antec 380W PS
 
I found some obscure reference to bumping the chipset voltage to stabilize the dual channel memory controller. Few bumps didn't seem to make a difference though.
 
Try loosening your RAM timings a bit. Or alternatively jack up the RAM voltage. Running dual channel is a little harder for the RAM I find.
 
i ran my old barton 2500+ @ 3200 by doing the same thing except i put the ram at 2/3 ratio since it was ddr333 memory and el cheapo ram at that :D
 
Sorry, forgot to mention that I dropped the ram to 166 so that it'd even out at 200 when I raised the bus in windows. I'll try bumping the RAM voltage a bit.
 
Back
Top