• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Tribaloverkill's "Blackout"

Well dude, that looks pretty interesting so far..... but dude, what the heck is up with the GF info? Heh.

Seriously through, lemmie impart a little advice upon you. I dated a girl for 7 years and in all that time we argued almost everyday and to be honest it was exactly like the situation you described with your girl. Then we got married and stayed married for the most horrible 10 months of my short life.

The moral of this story, if you two can't get along, don't try to 'change' her, she's a woman and you're going to find this out at some point, "They don't change".

Her natural instinct around you should be to be happy, if it's not then move on dude. Otherwise, it'll just mean more and more pain for you and her further down the road.

There are plenty of women in this world my friend and unless you're just a total jerk, you're bound to really, really jive with one of them.

Kyle
 
yea since i have been following this from the start over at bitt tech which he was booted from then i think i re bookmarked it at the wizd and gruntville sites..... i know whats up.

you guys really need to check out the first bits of this. i mean its LONG, but gots some comedy, some moving, some injury, some video, some breakups and now.... some makeups!

so yea tribal good for you and since im not a member at any of the other sites i was jsut watchin the worklog.... i wasnt able to congratulate you on the position/partnership thing you got goin on with AC RYAN, thats just awesome. frikken worklog contestant turned retailer.

anyhoo keep it up and again, glad to know its not jsut gonna be you and spongebob anymore.
 
Ok,... been working on blackout. Finally. Havent really got anything done. Just planning. This is what I am going to do. I am going to remake the HDD rack. I am not satisfied with it. First I noticed some things about it that I dont like, such as one side is a 1/16th wider then the other side. how that happened,... I dont know. Another major problem,... in which I dont know how this happened too,........ is that the width of the entire piece is too big! It wider then the case! I tried to figure out if I was missing something,... but cant figure out why I made it that wide. Again,... it to wide by a 1/16th to an 1/8th of an inch. A big no no. Anyways,... been planning a new rack,... a better one. The only thing is that the new rack only holds 4 HDDs. The old rack which held six was causing major design problems with fitting it and everything that will be attached to it. It would be really cutting it close with six. I could fit six easily if I was designing everything from scratch but I am not,... I'm modding the existing. Which really sucks in my opinion. I would much rather design my own S@#$. LOL. My opinion. Anyways,... it will hold 4, the HDDs will be held in a normal flat or horizontal position. There will be a nice 120mm fan on the side of the rack pulling air through the drives. Going to try and rig it so the fan blows it right out the bottom of the case using yet another shield:) The rack will be hung from the 5.25 like th eold one. There will be brackets to hold the rack firm to the bottom of the case. Brackets such as what used to hold the reservoir still. The HDDs will still have a shiled or shields. I think that all I am willing to tell you now. Should have the rack done over night. Will post pics later. Till then,...
 
Tyklfe said:
The moral of this story, if you two can't get along, don't try to 'change' her, she's a woman and you're going to find this out at some point, "They don't change".

QFT. After 5 years of waiting, hoping, counceling I finally gave up and now im in the process of divorce. I have been enjoying the seperation so far though :p
 
inotocracy said:
QFT. After 5 years of waiting, hoping, counceling I finally gave up and now im in the process of divorce. I have been enjoying the seperation so far though :p

That sucks:( I dont want to get divorced:( I just want to find someone that I get along with completely just as they do with me. I want someone that is willing to put in 120% to help solve problems and make the relationship work. I dont want to live life single, die alone.
 
WOW,... first update on this project in a LOOOONG time. Well,.... here it is! I remade the HDD rack because the last one flat out sucked. Seriously. The new one is soooo much better. Check it out...

feb-18-2006

My new HDD rack, the aluminum I plan on using that is. It's cut and filed to size and taped off for drawing the design out.


Started drawing out the design. Making the the lines for where the HDD mounting holes are going to to be are right on, which they are:)


Don't know how well you can see this design but it looks easy enough:) Right,...


Definitely recommend penciling out the areas that you will be cuttingt out. With all the lines down on the aluminum it gets confusing as hell.


Using a razor I cut out all the tape I dont need. The tape I dont need is covering the areas I will be cutting out. This makes it very easy to see where I am cutting when using the scroll saw. When cutting for so long using the scroll saw,... you begin seeing shit. Well not really but you do have trouble paying attention to where your cutting. Scracthes on the aluminum begin looking like the lines your are following.


Fresh out of the scroll saw. Doesnt even look like it needes filing. Surgeon's hands. Excuse me while I go pull out an insurance policy for them,...


Filed clean and center punched,... ready for drilling.


Drilled. I drill 4 of the holes to the wrong size. To big. Its the rack's mounting holes. I hve to go get some bigger rivets to mount this now:( I like my litte 1/8" rivets.


Now,... I used the bending brake to bend this rack. Sad to say I thought it would of done a better job. The aluminum is thicker then it can really handle but yea,... still a cool piece of tool.


Hi,........... you. What thaaaaaaaaa?


What the hell did you do to your face! And you crotch! Dog? The cute little white one? AWWWWWWW. I'm going to let her chew on you some more so I can watch. Now get out of the way,... your ugly.


Had to use the good ole vise to finalize my bends.


Perfect!


NIIIIIICE.


120mm fan soon to be. Have to figure out how I'm going ot get it on but I think I have an idea.


All 3 racks. First one of obviously the newest one, the next is my old, and the last is a lian-li rack. MINE IS BETTER! LIAN-LI,... you ain't got S@#$ on me:)


Sanded it down nice and clean,... ready for polishing?
 
tribaloverkill said:
DSC00043.sized.jpg
Jigsaws with fricken laser beams attached to their heads!

Looks good :) I wish I had all the tools and materials to do stuff like this.
 
Ok,... im in the garage now. But! I'm not really doing anything productive. I am planning. I was, making the fan adapter thing to hold the fan to the HDD cage but then thought for one hot minute that i wasn't looking at the entire picture here. After realizing this, I now have to literally work backwards to accomplish my plans for this whole assembly. Reason being,... well, it's simple. Everything works together,... you can't make something thats going to work and fit with something else until you atleast know what that something else is going to look like. So,... I have to start at the back of the line of things to make and work forward, starting with the HDD shields:) After that I will make the side shields. After that I will make,... well, I wont have to make an adapter for the fan because the left, side shield is going to be the adapter. The fam will bolt right to it. SO,... after the side shields I will make the support brackets. After that I will make,... the fan shield. I think thats it for the HDD's. After the HDDs I am making a whole new pump tower with the new low profile method of mounting the pumps. The new tower of going to be taller then the last one. Its going to be bolted to the bottom of the case via a mounting bracket thing and it will reach and touch the ceiling of the case,... I might have a bracket up there too. The tower is whats going to hold the mobo tray steady. I cut away all that aluminum before so the trya sways like crazy now. I have to give back the cases sturdiness. Anyways,... I am going to start tomorrow and work throughout next week. Sunday I am doing 16 hours of OT again:( Lordy. Going to to finish thinking things through today and will get started as soon as I get home. I do a little during the morning into the afternoon, I'll sleep for a couple of hours and then get up and work all night. Cool?
 
Here's an update for you guyz. Haven't been able to get much work done lately but I am trying. I am going to try and work early today, if they dont need me I will continue what I am doing here. If they do and im not to tired in the morning after work I will continue. To the pics,...

Mar-13-2006

Ok,... have to figure out exactly how much space I have to work with on the front of the HDD shield. So I will try on a piece of scrap. The space I need to figure out is the space in between the bends.


The piece that is already bent I bent the old way, one bend at a time, measuring before each bend. The new piece which is laid out flat will be measured all at once and then bent later after all the detail and stuff has been cut out. I have to make sure that the measuring is right so that its not to tall or short once done.


Now the formula is as follows,... absolute height - pipe diameter - 1/8" = front surface area. The 1/8 inch is actaully 1/6" x 2. Thast 1/16" for each bend. The 1/16" is for the stretching of the aluminum and whatever else is going on that I amnot aware. If you dont subtract that factor,... your piece will be taller then you think.


The two outer lines,... is the absolute height which in this case would be 4". The two inner lines are the bend lines which I got by subtracting the pipes radius + 1/16" from each line. So thats in all would be the absolute height - pipe diameter - 1/8". Understand?


Here we go,... bending.


Bent.


Perfect.


Forgive me for jumping ahead but you guyz know whats envolved with drawing and cutting out the tape. Here the shield was scroll sawed. Now Im going to file and drill.


Drilling,...


Drilled. I drilled these holes up to 1/2". Thats the biggest bit I got. I need beigger to get the hose through the holes. I am goign to file bigger. I dont feel like spending 15 bucks for a larger bit.


Filed.


Ok,... by the time it took me to write this out, I decided that I am not going to work early. I am going ot finish this up. I am going ot work early tomorrow though. Anyways,... i'll try and post an update before I go to work tonight at 11pm. Peace.
 
Just going ot make this little update for Mar-14-2006 to avoid complications on my side,...

Mar-14-2006

So,... I F@#$ed up. SHOOT ME! I started a new HDD front shield. I already mentioned this mistake in one of my other worklogs. I said the reason was because of the fact that I measure starting at the 1" mark on my ruler and just never subtracted that extra 1". Thta is NOT the reason for my mistake. The mistake is within the formula I gave you guyz,... The real formual is absolute height - (pipe diameter x 2) - 1/8". I was subtracting the pipes radius from both sides when it should of been the pipes diameter. OH WELL! So,... I made it up to center punching:) All I have to do now is scroll saw out all those designs again:) YEA!!!! I changed the design around a bit too. Actually,... not much but I added some support things for the longer grooves. Was having trouble with them when bending. This will strengthen the piece very much. Theres the old piece in the picture.
 
Just FYI, you post in entirely too many forums :D Make [H] your home.
 
Ok,... I didn't go to go early today so I slept and got up early to do some work, not alot but some.

Mar-15-2005

Here's the new HDD front shield. Noticed that the design is pretty much the same except for the little "things", bars, whatever, attaching the horizontal sssslats,... LOL, you know, as I type these worklogs out I never think ahead when it comes to naming "stuff" to help describe what I am trying to explain,... I guess I am assuming that I dont have to, that there are names for evreything already! Not. I love it, trying to name "stuff" on-the-fly while being pressed for time,... quite annoying really. You ever see the movie Kung Pow? Where he was making up words that combine two things such as bad wrong, Badong. LOL. Everytime I go anme something I think of that. LOL. ANYWAYS! You see the BADONGS attaching the horizontal garnardabs? Do you think the ones on the right should go all the way up of should the center where the hose holes are, should be free of them? The top and bottom horizontal ganardabs are longer then the ones in the center, thats why they have the badongs there, to help support them. I thought it looked kind of cool having the badongs on the right go all the way up. What do you think?
 
I have a new design I want you guyz to check out before I cut this. I like it. But let me know if you think I should add anything to it. Also,... some pics of the last shield I F'ed up.

Mar-23-2006

Last shield I F'ed up,... Looks cool:)


Here the newest one. I was working on it yesterday. Thinking about going with a new design this time.


Heres the first two I messed up. They are all mangled because I was trying some stuff out with them. I want the bedns to have a larger radius. Makes the shiled look less boxy.


Heres the new design. Its not super accurate but its to the point. Compare it to the pic of the newest shield. Let me know what you think. You think I should add and remove anything? Let me know what you think.


I'm going to eat before I get started so you guyz have a half and hour to leave your opinions before I get started. So hurry up!
 
What you guyz think of this? I like it but,... I dont know. I think I had something else in mind. I am going to just keep drawing and see what comes up. I might even move the holes around too. Let me know what you think?

 
Update.

Mar-29-2006

Here I just got done drilling the large holes. I cut the tape away to expose the design. I have to center punch and drill out the design now.


I just got done cutting out the designing using the scroll saw. It has not yet been filed down. Im goign to do that another day because I have to get some sleep. I love this blue tape Im using. It's painters tape. You guyz know that. Well,... after having it clamped down, soaked in oil, drilled, soaked in some more oil, ran through the scroll saw for about 45 mintues,... it's still on! The true test was when I went to wash off all the oil and stuff in the sink with soapy hot water,... still on! Great stuff.


Instead of filing away the end of my day,... I set up a preview for you guyz,...


I used an already made sheet of frosted UV green acrylic. The piece im using is for one of the 5.25" bay covers.


What it would look like in aluminum, unpolished.


Maybe tomorrow I will start filing and bending. Notice there are no tabs to mount it. I am goign to make separate tabs that will bolt to it. Will look much much cleaner from the front. Also,.. the 3 holes inbetween the large holes are for mounting the tabs for the side now:( Forgot to plan for the tabs. Oh well. plus I have a cool idea of keeping the hose inside the holes when its all done.
 
So thats you hdd sheild? As in will it be used to cover the HDD or be the front of the case? o_O
Well, either way its looking nice. I bet I would still cut a funny line even if I did have a laser guided jigsaw.. :(
 
Here's a littpe update. I did some work today. I am going to work on this all day tomorrow when I get home too.

Apr-09-2006

These are the mounting brackets for the HDD shield. The only shields had the tabs that I bent over. I didnt like that because you could see the bent tabs from the front. these are stealthed so you cant see them.
 
Ok,... here's a nice update for you guyz.

Apr-10-2006

By request,... I took more pictures of the mounting brackets, closer pictures. As you can see the tabs were bent. If you noticed I recessed the tabs from the egde too. I did this by moving the tabs bend lines back 1/16" from the edge. The reason behind this is because when its mounted it will be flush with the egde of HDD shield.


FIRE!! FIRE!! YEA! KICK AZZ!! This time around I decided to use fire. It worked so well!!! Should of use it the first couple of times!!! But then again if I did I wouldnt be using the design I have now,... oh well. Funny how things work out. Anyways,... I heated the aluminum so it was real hot and and it also felt tacky, weird. But it was so soft. Very easy to bend.


Bending done! Yo,... it came out perfect! Amazing how I totally F'ed the first two and then on the third try its flawless.


It is EXACTLY 1/16" taller then the HDD rack. CUTTING HAIRS, I SWEAR!!!


All polished. I need to do some more polishing to it but for now its ok.


Some chrome hose for you,... just to get an idea as to what its going to look like. People keep asking about the large holes. Here you go.


Behind the shield. Now,... in between the shield and the mounting brackets is going to be the UV green. The UV green is going to be sandwiched between the two. I'll make the Uv green on wednesday, if im not to tired.


So yea. I have bee kicking around a knew alias for myself,... a more personal one. I still refer to myself as tribaloverkill, but I will alos be using "C.V.R.:IV" or just "CVRIV". Basically,... its my initials. I might use it to brand some of my stuff along with tribaloverkill. Wednesday.
 
VERY COOL UPDATE!!! The HDD FRONT SHIELD IS DONE!!!

Apr-14-2006

TIME FOR THE UV INSERT!!! I'm going to heat this bad boy and press it inside the HDD shield without bending the HDD shield.


As I'm heating it, it begins to bend or warp. Thi sis because it friggin hot! It's getting soft now.


I forgot to take a picture of it but you see the wood? Once I had this acrylic pushed down inside the shield. I had to clamp that board on top of the acrylic in the very center of the shield. REason being that the acrylic in the very center was bending upward as I held the side down. Once I had the center held down it was really easy. As you see it is VERY snug. More snug then I thought I would be able to acheive. Yay for me:)


As you can see it alot bigger all the way around then the HDD shield. I was going to break out the router and do the whole ruler-ruler thing but I thought nah. Waiste of time.


Look how perfect that is! Damn im good. Anyyyyyymays.


So what I did instead was mark the outline for the shield using a razor,...


See the ouline? I took it to the table sander! What a friggin mess but it got the job done and done quick! What a mess! <----- I know. I said that already. Thats how messy it really was.


Done! Ground down to size. Perfect! It's still not completely finished,...


As you can see I drilled the holes for the mounting brackets. Very nice.


Larger holes cut out! I used a really small bit to drill pilot holes and then used a 3/8 acrylic ground bit to cut away the most of it. I could of used a bigger bit but I was uncomfortable with that idea. I would risk htting the aluminum and cracking the acrylic. So I used a coarse file and sand paper the rest of the way.


Diffused. I took it down to 400grit. Very nice.


Done.


The back looks cool with the mounting hardware in place.


Lights on.


In front of the HDD rack.


What do you think? Well,... the day is young here so I think I will get started on the side shields. they should be alot easier seeing there is no bending required.
 
Ok,... mockup time! I don't really need opinions as to whether I should go with this design because I decided to go for it:) But I still want to know what you think:) Check it out.

Apr-19-2006



What do you think? At this point I am pretty sure that I will have to go back and add a little flavor to some of the older pieces that "were" done. That would be the two 5.25" bay covers? I think thats it? I can't touch the VFD one until the buttons are installed. The LED one,... I can do at anytime. The little window thing in the LED cover, thats begining to bother me. I have been trying to use the window design somewhere else throughout this case and so far nada:)
 
Apr-19-2006

Ok,... here I have it all drawn out on the taped sheet of aluminum.


Here I cut away all the tape that doesnt need to be there,...


SPACE INVADERS!!!


LOL,... If I remember correctly, they look something like that. Weird. Last night at work it started off looking like a piece of toast, as a good friend had stated ever so kindly. Now,... it's a Spacer Invader. LOL. Anyways,... found a couple of flaws. One I had corrected already and I am not even going to share with you what is because it's,... stupid and pointless. The other,... I will share because I need to F@#$ING know how the UV backing is going to hold itself together with all those 1/8",................ whizzywackerwoonies!!! It's going to be fragile as hell. What I'm going to do it make little UV green 1/8" support whizzywackerwoonies. I'll glue them on top of the 1/8" whizzywackerwoonies of the UV backing using the weld-on #4, making the 1/8" whizzywackerwoonies 1/4" whizzywackerwoonies:) I'll the the support ones a bit longer for the added support. You'll see,...
 
Update. Phew. This one was tiring as hell. Lots of scroll sawing, filing, sanding,... and then I had to do it all again with teh the UV equivalent!

Apr-24-2006

Skipping around,... all taped and cut. Ready to be filed.


Did some polishing,... needs more.


More skipping around,... UV equivalent. I left out some of the design when making the UV equivalent because it has no purpose and and the chances of it breaking would be higher do to all the fine work.


Did a little bit more polishing, still needs some more. I think I have to get a new wheel or something. It's leaving wipe marks. It looks cool.


The two pieces together. They are not bolted together, didnt have time to do that.


Lit up.


Here the side shield on the HDD rack.


From the side, you see the grooves? So it can breath easily:)


Another shot. This is not how its bolted down, I mean it is but I didnt get to doing it right yet. Later on I will tackle that.


A couple more shots,...


Lit up. I am probably going to install some leds from either the rear or from below or maybe both.


Till the next update:)
 
WOW, this is looking great. At first I didn't think you could pull it off, but you are doing some really impressive work here. I'm definitely gonna be paying close attention to this one!
 
Tiny update.

Apr-25-2006

Cleaned my buffing wheel! Didnt use a brick either:) I used a RAZOR! MUH HA HA HA!!!


Look how clean! I cut that shit right off! It was pretty cool, messy, but cool:) Quick too:)


This is how I did it. I rested my hand on a piece of wood and turned it on. After it was spinning full force,... I slowly touched the wheel just a bit past the crap I was trying to get rid of. The razor literally cut it off. Stuff flying all over the place. Easy.


All the crap that came off or got cut off:)
 
After buffing with the new surface of the wheel. You can see some scratching there,... thats mostly from drying off the piece with a paper towel. so abrasive:( Oh weel,... with does really bother me all that much. It looks better then before.


Other then the wheel,... the only other thing I got down was installing the mounting threadserts for the front panel. Looks sharp,... let me tell you. Nice.


I have to work some double shifts this week so I most likely wont be able to get anything down this week. Maybe on saturday I will be able too. I might try and squeeze some work in this week. We'll see what happens.
 
I finished mounting the first side and I attatched the front shield to that side. Flawless.

Apr-27-2006

A side shot. Polished nicely but still needs more:)


HEEEEEELP!!! Traped within my work. Reminds me of the superman movie with the three villains trapped in the mirror.


Boink.


Nylon spacers. BA BLAM!


CRASH!!!!!


Inside the case. Ha Ha HA HACHOOOOO!!!


Bless you.

Thanks.

Anytime.

:)
 
nice work. stick........but if I catch you on a tangent about your girlfriend again.....*shakes fist*
 
Back
Top