Travel Router recommendation?

farscapesg1

2[H]4U
This has been on my list of things to buy and we will be taking a family trip for Spring Break so it's time to give in :) Looking for a travel router that will provide "passthrough" of your standard hotel splashscreen/login so that we can make use of a Roku or Chromecast on the trip. Ideally this would work for both hotel wifi and a physical wired connection, though those seem to be getting rare nowadays.

I'm not too worried about extras like USB media sharing, but if it has it I could probably find a use for it ;)

I have a netgear trek that does as you describe though when on wireless passthrough only one device can be connected.

Thanks everyone!

The Hootoo's look interesting. Built in battery pack for recharging a device if necessary and powered off of a mini-usb instead of having to plug into an outlet. That could come in handy during a car trip with the kids (with a usb hdd attached containing a lot of Disney movies). I think the Tripmate would be plenty for my use.. though the Titan is tempting, but an extra $15 for the additional battery size just doesn't seem worth it.

I'm not too worried about only one device being able to use it in bridge mode as the only device I plan on needing to connect that way is a Roku.

I have a netgear trek that does as you describe though when on wireless passthrough only one device can be connected.

This is what I use as well. Might need to clarify on the only one device though, I've never had issues with multiple devices connecting, just need to configure it with the one device at the passthrough page and all the other devices that connect afterwards are good. Only time it's an issue is when they only do 24 hour activations so you have to re-auth once a day.

i use a ubiquiti airgateway, but it's not nearly as featureful as the others mentioned

Got my HooToo tripmate in the mail yesterday (yay for Amazon Prime). Tested on my home guest network as well as the NAS feature with kids tablets, looks like it will fit the bill perfectly. Brought it to work to verify on a Cisco guest network setup (enterprise quality with a real splash screen) and I'm good to go.

Now to do some more testing before our trip in March to make sure the tablets have the proper players to access the video files (mixture of mp4, mkv, and some old avi files even).

I didn't know I needed one until I read this thread. Now I'm buying one. :D

Slow for what exactly though. Considering you are extremely lucky to get more than 6MB on any hotel wifi in my experience, I'm not worried about the internet bridging aspect. As for streaming, I connected both the kids tablets to it and played two different movies from a USB stick without any issues, so it does what I need it to from that aspect. It's not like I'm trying to stream non-compressed bluray rips or anything, these are Disney movies that have been converted to MP4/MKV at about 1-2GB size each.

Depending on how you're sharing it you'll most likely max out at about 20-30mbit (roughly) and that's without any Internet-routing so perhaps 10-15mbit in real life pegging the CPU. I'm doing rough estimate based on my 24Kc based hardware with higher clockspeed and not using NTFS or such (that's going to be much slower).

Back