Travel router as AP

unholythree

Limp Gawd
So I've seen some cheapie Travel routers for sale lately (this TP-Link TL-MR3020 for example) and I've thought they could be handy as low power/inexpensive access points around my apartment.

Has anyone had experience with these? How is the signal strength and range?

Real APs seem to be geared to enterprise buyers and as a result are expensive, I just want know if I can augment my current network with these and not break the bank.

My network setup: Linksys E2000 running TomatoUSB, an unmananged netgear switch and about 8 devices, 4 of them wireless.

I have found they have very limited broadcast areas. I know this will be said 10x, but why not look at a ~$75 Ubiquiti Unifi AP. It can easily support what you have and more then cover your apartment.

If you think linksys/netgear/d-link/etc consumer gear is expensive, don't look at prices for Aruba, Xirrus, Cisco, etc Enterprise WiFi.
If you are having problems covering an apartment with a single AP, you are either doing something wrong or the size of your apartment would indicate ability to afford any AP on the market.

I'll admit I'm being a bit of a cheap skate, and I have pretty good coverage around my apartment. I guess what I want is to have a dedicated AP for the different standards of my devices, and I figured if I could: why not get a little stronger signal everywhere?

I like my router, and I got it cheap (< $40) so hate to drop more than that for an AP that isn't really necessary.

Well, there is a distinction here between what you want and what is necessary :D I think what is necessary has been discussed; I assume you are an adult and thus able to do whatever you want.
Running more APs than necessary can be a pain from an interference and management perspective. Dedicated APs are typically more expensive than Router/AP/Switches because there is less demand for them in the consumer market.
You may be able to accomplish what you want with a single AP that supports VLANS

Back