Travel Headphones Recommendation

PiERiT

2[H]4U
I am taking a trip in a month and would like something for the flight and walking around. Problem is, I can't stand the feeling of having things in my ears, so typical earbuds are out, leaving only on-ear/over-ear options. I also need something small and light that I can wear for several hours and then wrap up and throw in my pocket or in a pouch or something.

At home I typically use these, really inexpensive and basic but comfortable. I'd just use these but I nearly snap them in half every time I use them because they're so fragile, so they wouldn't last on the trip.

Can anyone recommend a heftier option, with the above stipulations in mind? Price doesn't really matter, nor does wired vs wireless. Thanks.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have some AT noise cancelling cans- actually pretty great cans and noise cancelling was effective, but the cups were just a tad too small and I don't have huge ears.

I'd say just get the Bose Quietcomforts, whatever they're selling lately. Not the best cans, but they're damn comfortable and the noise isolation is top notch, and sometimes that matters more.

Way too big unfortunately. I like AT's and use the ATH-AD500X a lot, but those are also too big. I need something small enough to fit in my pocket or a small pouch.

Way too big unfortunately. I like AT's and use the ATH-AD500X a lot, but those are also too big. I need something small enough to fit in my pocket or a small pouch.

I didn't catch your size requirement, sorry :(. In that case I don't have much for you, but I can see what you're aiming for and I'm interested to see what people come up with.

The bose are great noise canceling travel headsets. Lightweight, decent sound, almost dead silent when noise cancel is turned on. Cant hear airplane engine noise at all.

To and from and during work I use Beyerdynamic's Custom Street Headphones.

Sucks about the ear thing - it's counter intuitive but have you tried some high quality "in-ear" headphones. AKA IEM's?

When I first started out I had some etymotic's with their flanged rubber tips and they totally destroyed me.
Switched to some Shure SE 425 with the expanding foam plugs and loved them.

For me the isolation is amazing on long haul flights, as is the light weight. It's a bonus also when people can't really spot you have a couple hundred dollars sitting there on your head.

I use Bose quietcomfort 20 in-ear buds and while not as effective as the on-ear models they work really well. When combined to the sound insulation of my Mercedes S500 you hardly know you're on the road. Also in flight they cancel out most of the engine noise but as said, not as effectively as the on ear models.

Back