transporting desktop w/ large heatsink

StRiFeXD

Weaksauce
Sometimes I'm hearing about how large cpu heatsinks may pose a problem when the desktop needs to be transported, exposed to bumpy rides, etc. Is this really usually a problem? Is it recommended that I remove my heatsink, such as a large Zalman, before i transport my computer? I just want to make sure this thing won't be ripping my motherboard apart :eek:

Thanks

I have a Zalman 9700 and carry my pc with it attached to the motherboard. Just make sure to carry the case on its side

Most heatsinks mounted with bolt-through systems don't require any special treatment to be moved. If your Zalman is bolt-through, you won't have to take any special precautions.

Large heatsinks do pose a danger to the chip if certain precautions are not taken. A Zalman is heavy and can cause unwanted stress on the CPU.

A road trip of some kind or any prolonged amount movement can cause enough vibration for the motherboard to bend a certain way or even snap, even with bolts or backplates.

If it's a tower style case, then lay it on it's side when transporting the unit. This will ensure that no up and down vibration will cause an unbalanced stress on the motherboard itself.

If the trip requires you to pack the PC into the luggage compartment of an airplane, then I would suggest that you buy some 'air baggies' at your local shipping store or post office. They're nothing more than bags of air. But you can stuff the inside of your case, around your video card and/or processor.

Back