Transporting a 2005FPW to the LAN

wankel

Weaksauce
I frequently carry my 2005fpw to LAN parties to play games and after I got it I wanted to buy one of the LCD carrying cases for it, but no one makes anything for widescreen LCDs.
After giving up on buying one, I decided to make my own and received a lot of interest in my transporter from other owner of 2005fpws. So if anyone is interested I've started to sell some on ebay or buy directly from me.

The core is constructed out of 1 inch thick hard foam and the interior is covered in softer foam with a fabric backing. It uses 2 main 2 inch wide straps with buckles to secure the monitor in place and a smaller 1 inch strap to keep the stand secure. It comes with a handle on top and a very nice non slip shoulder strap. All cases come with 1/8" thick hard front panel now

If anyone wants one for the 2005FPW ($55) or 2405FPW ($65) + S&H

I'M BOOKED UP UNTIL AROUND THE 2ND WEEK OF FEBRUARY, BUT I'M HOPING TO HAVE A LARGE QUANTITY OF 2405 CASES IN APRIL.

If you're interested please PM me with a zip code and I'll check shipping cost, give you payment details, and let you know an estimated ship date. Also, USPS has reasonable rates for international shipping.

looks like very nice workmanship :)

EDIT, you should use more keywords like case , holder or whatever else in the main title to get more hits (in addition to posting here ;))

wankel said:
I would make one for the 2405 if I had enough interest in it.
lol pwned :D

would it fit a Apple 20"? ohh just saw ur ebay.. its possible yay! but sorry i dnt live in the us :(

id pick one up for my 2405 if the price was close to that of the 2005 you are selling now, maybe a couple bucks more... Great idea though and it looks high quality.

The largest CaseAce, GearGrip - LCD Shield Harness would hold the 2005fpw, but it's not form fitted like yours (definate plus)

That is extremely cool.

If you're looking for major business you might talk to Kyle for linkage on the frontpage...

weebling1 said:
The largest CaseAce, GearGrip - LCD Shield Harness would hold the 2005fpw, but it's not form fitted like yours (definate plus)

Yeah, I saw some people using those at Quakecon. It holds it, but the edges of the screen stick out and you need to cover them with something so it doesn't get damaged.

The largest GearGrip lcd harness fits the 2005FPW ( it is completely enclosed ) The 2405FPW sticks out, but only the plastic surround bit, not the lcd surface itself

But having a custom designed lcd harness is always better. Does it use any hard sheet to protect the lcd surface from damage ?

harshw said:
The largest GearGrip lcd harness fits the 2005FPW ( it is completely enclosed ) The 2405FPW sticks out, but only the plastic surround bit, not the lcd surface itself

But having a custom designed lcd harness is always better. Does it use any hard sheet to protect the lcd surface from damage ?

Yeah your right, I guess I saw someone use the meduim size one.
No, it doesn't have anything hard. The foam is pretty tough and thick but you could stab through it with a knife. I thought about adding something but I wasn't sure how useful it would be, I didn't think many people would be running with their monitor and sharp objects in hand (although you do run faster with a knife ;-). I was more concerned about the corners, I bump the corners more than anything else. The foam on the sides is about 1.75 inches thick and 2 inches tall

wankel said:
I thought about adding something but I wasn't sure how useful it would be, I didn't think many people would be running with their monitor and sharp objects in hand (although you do run faster with a knife ;-).

it was at this moment that i realized im a total dork for finding this hillarious.

A think sheet of acrylic or fiberglass or even plywood should protect the LCD for exceptionally hard pokes (table corners, some guy punching you, etc) and you could charge a couple bucks extra for this option. Maybe have an outside pocket you can slip the "trauma plate" into?

A think sheet of acrylic or fiberglass or even plywood should protect the LCD for exceptionally hard pokes (table corners, some guy punching you, etc) and you could charge a couple bucks extra for this option. Maybe have an outside pocket you can slip the "trauma plate" into?

Kevlarman said:

If someone wanted armor plating on it I can add a sheet of aluminum to the front of the foam, that would allow one to block knives but axes may still be too much for it. The foam inside is tough kinda like the foam used for archery targets. I can stand on it and it doesn't bend too much.
I don't know if I'll make many more of them they are alot of work to make, I'll just have to see how it goes.

I have made one with a pocket on the front, I embroidered a CS logo on it.

I was thinking a pocket big enough to hold the plate in front of the LCD screen.
If you made one for the 2405FPW, I'd buy it!

Kevlarman said:
I was thinking a pocket big enough to hold the plate in front of the LCD screen.
If you made one for the 2405FPW, I'd buy it!

Do you still have the sheet that came with the monitor that shows all the dimensions? If so scan and post or PM me and sent it to me. I might start working on one for the 2405. Do you want one just to have incase you travel with it or do you take yours to LANs?

No, I don't have that sheet anymore, but here's a cool picture that shows all the dimensions of the screen:

measure2wc.jpg

I haven't been to any LAN parties since I got my 2405, but I wouldn't balk at carrying it to future events if your carrying case is as good as you say it is. :)

Besides, I threw the box out and it would be nice to have a nice case for when I move or need it for storage.

Kevlarman said:
No, I don't have that sheet anymore, but here's a cool picture that shows all the dimensions of the screen:

measure2wc.jpg

I haven't been to any LAN parties since I got my 2405, but I wouldn't balk at carrying it to future events if your carrying case is as good as you say it is. :)

Besides, I threw the box out and it would be nice to have a nice case for when I move or need it for storage.

Nice, thanks...do you know if the stand is the same width as the one for the 2005? If you don't know take a picture of the back and side ( so I can see the thickness). I'm guessing it will cost between $10 and $15 more in material than the one for the 2005. I'll have to hunt down something hard to use to protect the screen. I'll probably place it on the inside of the case under the softer foam, instead of a pocket on the outside. You know anyone else that might want one?

I would actually LIKE to get rid of my box... it would be helpful for storage and would be good for lan parties.

I want one and my brother will want one as soon as he gets his 2405 in a few weeks.

Hee you are, pics of the sides and back.

How much will these bags cost, BTW? I'm sure if you post pictures of the finished product and make a thread people will want to buy.

The GearGrip has some kind of ABS sheet to protect against sharp impact on screen. I was once at Schipol carrying the 2405 when some idiots pushed past in a hurry and the screen struck a sharp desk corner. It struck hard and I was thinking " Okay, end of screen " :(

Lucikly the screen survived !

So having a stiff layer to protect against sharp impact IS needed. The thing I dont like about the GearGrip when carrying the 2405 is that the plastic edges are exposed... another bunch of idiots hurrying and pushing ... :eek:

Man congratulations on your fine craftsmanship.... You have done an exceptional job in making these carrying cases.

If I had a 2005FPW and was looking to go to LAN parties... I'd buy that bag in a heartbeat. It looks great!

Thanks for the pics Kelvarman...don't worry I'll put something in there to protect the screen (got any good deals on kelvar?). I'm guessing the price will be $65 + S/H assuming I can find something to protect the screen at a reasonable price. It will probably take me about 1.5 weeks to get the first one built, after that the rest I can build much faster. I'll start on it this weekend since it looks like my original plans are going to be canceled due to rain from the hurricane.

Put me down as a deffinate maybe, if it looks as good as your last one and has a hard screen protection I will buy so you can put me on the waiting list.

I am not 100 percent certain yet myself.. but put me down as a maybe as well for a 2405 case.

Thanks for the pics Kelvarman...don't worry I'll put something in there to protect the screen (got any good deals on kelvar?).

Lol, now that you mention it, I do have an extra Kevlar panel somewhere... maybe I'll put it in right after the hard plate for some extra extra protection (and to protect me from bullets)!
:D

Good luck with the hurricane, and I'm not in a hurry; take your time, make a quality product, and it should sell itself. ;)

I just thought I'd drop in a word about this.

I have the 2nd carrier Wankel made. Its the one pictured above with the CS logo on it. The quality is absolutely top notch. I'm very positive that its going to protect the monitor from just about any damage that you'll realistically put it through.
The foam he used on the inside is very rigid and light and covered with a thin layer of soft foam thats very soft to the touch. All the straps and handles are nice and thick which gives you confidence thats its a very solid made item. The shoulder pad is especially nice. Its broad, thick, and textured so it doesn't give you that uneasy feeling that its about to slip off. Also, there is cable management straps. Its nice having those there so you can leave the cables attached to the monitor and not have them dangling loosely. Oh and having my name and CS logo embroidered on the front of the carrier was definately a nice touch :)

I have had experience with GearGrip and Thermaltake monitor and case carrying products, and in my opinion, Wankel is building a MUCH higher quality product that anything that they have to offer.

For you guys that are saying "maybe"; What are you currently using? The box? CaseAce? The box takes up too much time and space and only gives you the benefit of protecting the bottom of the stand. CaseAce is very cheap and flimsy looking in comparison. I saw plenty of them at Quakecon and I am very glad that I didn't get one.

I think him asking $65 for a handmade custom fitted case of such high quality is a superb deal.

{free_crackers}D said:
I just thought I'd drop in a word about this.

I have the 2nd carrier Wankel made. Its the one pictured above with the CS logo on it. The quality is absolutely top notch. I'm very positive that its going to protect the monitor from just about any damage that you'll realistically put it through.
The foam he used on the inside is very rigid and light and covered with a thin layer of soft foam thats very soft to the touch. All the straps and handles are nice and thick which gives you confidence thats its a very solid made item. The shoulder pad is especially nice. Its broad, thick, and textured so it doesn't give you that uneasy feeling that its about to slip off. Also, there is cable management straps. Its nice having those there so you can leave the cables attached to the monitor and not have them dangling loosely. Oh and having my name and CS logo embroidered on the front of the carrier was definately a nice touch :)

I have had experience with GearGrip and Thermaltake monitor and case carrying products, and in my opinion, Wankel is building a MUCH higher quality product that anything that they have to offer.

For you guys that are saying "maybe"; What are you currently using? The box? CaseAce? The box takes up too much time and space and only gives you the benefit of protecting the bottom of the stand. CaseAce is very cheap and flimsy looking in comparison. I saw plenty of them at Quakecon and I am very glad that I didn't get one.

I think him asking $65 for a handmade custom fitted case of such high quality is a superb deal.

Thanks for the kind words Free_Crackers

Kevlarman said:
Any word on these, wankel?

They are in process...I'll create the foam core and start on the outside cover this weekend. My local source for the interior foam ran out ( I bought it all) and I don't have enough. I'm looking for another source while waiting for the store to get more in. I think I'll be able to finish the first one by Oct7th, at least that's my goal. After I figure out the first one I can build more much faster.

Got more of the main part finished all I need now is the finish the back flap and insert the hard screen shield.
I took a picture of the 2405 case next to one of the 2005 cases in progress. So far this one looks really good....now I want a 2405.
Everyone still interested in it?

Back