transmitter for digital cable box

IDversusEGO

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a digital cable box and I want to be able to use my hauppauge 250 to record from it. I will be using knoppmyth to start with. What I need is the device that attaches to my HTPC and changes the channels on my cable box. I tried searching, but don't know what it is really called, so I didn't get good results. Can anybody help me out with a name of the device and maybe a link to a good product? any help would be appreciated.

yeah, tried that but the search doesn't recognize IR as a word, not enough chrachters I guess. So I get all kinds of sound card returns. however, a search on ebay turned up several options. Now i just need to see if any of them will work with the HTPC

I have a very similar problem so i thought i'd post it here. I have a Motorolla HDTV satellite reciever (the same one that 'VOOM!' uses in the states. But the reciever uses RF, not IR. Is there such a device that can transmit those signals from a HTPC? I'll problably be using WIN32 if that makes a difference.

I have a quick question along these lines. If my STB has a USB output on the back of it. Is it possible to connect it directly to my computer and not have to purchase an IR blaster? If it is possible then is there additional software such as Girder needed or can the STB then be controlled by Sage TV?

Thanks

Some apps will control the box but I'm not sure which. Both BTV and Sage offer a full featured 15 day demo so try them both to see if it works.

Depending on what you're running and what cable box you've got you can look into a serial controller. This what I'm using on my current setup with Sage TV and a Motorola DCT2000 series cable box (Comcast). I've found it to be a lot more reliable.

Daemon1313 said:
Depending on what you're running and what cable box you've got you can look into a serial controller. This what I'm using on my current setup with Sage TV and a Motorola DCT2000 series cable box (Comcast). I've found it to be a lot more reliable.
can you get me a link to that product, because that is the same cable box I am working with here. I am looking for a proven solution.

One warning about using serial is some cable operators have disabled the serial port in some boxes to promote their own PVR boxes (i.e. comcast). If you search the forums on Sage's sight you can find the exe to change channels using a serial port. Download it and try it. It's easy to use you just type dct and the channel number. If the box changes channel, you're golden. If it dosn't get a usb-uirt.

Back