Transferring files between 2 XP computer

Lastblade

Limp Gawd
This should be easy, but I am not having any luck doing it.

I have 2 computers connected wireless through a router.

Both have XP Pro SP2. I turned off the firewall on both so I can transfer files between them, I can transfer small files, but large files will crash the router. I have to turn off the router to reset the connection.

Is it because the router can't handle the traffic? I would think it wouldn't be a problem, but then again, maybe I am wrong. Or is it some XP setting I didn't do right?

Turn off the QoS Packet Scheduler setting on both computers. (slim chance, but it's an easy test)

Zamboni said:
Turn off the QoS Packet Scheduler setting on both computers. (slim chance, but it's an easy test)

Sorry to be a n00b, but where/how do I turn off the QoS packet Scheduler?

Under network connections, right click your network card, properties and check QOS packet scheduler.

If that fails.. setup a FTP. Least you can control that better than the stupid windows sharing that doesn't seem to work for me.
One other thing... make sure they are in the same workgroups. like both under Darknet. (thats what I use, themed to my alias...)

awdark said:
Under network connections, right click your network card, properties and check QOS packet scheduler.

If that fails.. setup a FTP. Least you can control that better than the stupid windows sharing that doesn't seem to work for me.
One other thing... make sure they are in the same workgroups. like both under Darknet. (thats what I use, themed to my alias...)

awkdark had some good pointers, the ftp is a good idea, there are many programs for ftp, like flashfxp and others.

KoZLop said:
I think the problem is because it is on wireless.

Me 2. I tried all the suggestions above and a few other things, each time it would crash the router. Oh well, I guess I can't transfer files like that. Gives me an excuse to buy a bigger hdd :)

Wireless isn't a problem. Now, your particular AP might be causing you issues but as a technology there is no problem transferring large files via wireless connections. It's just slow in comparison to the wire.

ktwebb said:
Wireless isn't a problem. Now, your particular AP might be causing you issues but as a technology there is no problem transferring large files via wireless connections. It's just slow in comparison to the wire.

My router is a Netgear WGR614. It is about 2 years old.... Not sure what the problem is then, b/c it is crashing the router whenever I transfer files between these 2 comps :(

Technically, if you use Ad Hoc mode, you will almost double your bandwidth.

See, in a wireless environment, the throughput of the network is shared amongst all computers, within range, on that channel. So if you have 2 computers on 802.11g, they are sharing 54Mbps. Due to the overhead of the network (I won't get into that, as I'd be opening a can of worms), its more like 40Mbps.

So to send from one computer to another via Infrastructure mode (i.e. with a dedicated AP), computer one has to send the data to the AP, then the data is sent from the AP to the other computer. The 40Mbps is now cut in half, as the data has to travel through the air twice.

Now, only one computer can 'talk' at a time (think about listening to two concurrent conversations at the same time - hard to do). So as computer one is transferring the frames (they're called frames if you transfer to a computer on the same subnetted LAN), they go to the AP, then have to wait until computer one pauses. This wait time may be forced for long enough to fill the AP's buffer, causing it to crash.

Ad Hoc mode is when both computers talk to each other directly, without the AP (note that you will lose the AP's connectivity (read: Internet) in ad hoc mode). This should alleviate your problem.

But in all honesty, 40Mbps is pretty slow - use a wire.

Back