Transferring a domain name

Cheetoz

[H]ard|Gawd
So my domain is about to expire and I decided to go with a cheaper company. I setup the transfer, but the new company said they need a written agreement of the current domain owner to begin the process.

The thing is, all the "owner" info I have with the old company is false and made up (just incase private registration isn't enough- save me the ICANN lecture). So is there anything I can do, or must I wait for the domain to expire and then get it again?

Possibly. I don't know of any way because all of the Domain companies I have ever used have allowed me to do the switchover via emails.

If you do go the expiration route, be sure to have some service in place that does a very fast registration upon expiration. There will sure be enough other bots out there trying to do the same thing regardless of how ridiculous the name is.

Also keep in mind that upon expiry, there is often a period in which you cannot re-register or even renew the domain.

thats awful.

Is there a domain service with free private registration, free domain transfer, and won't require a written agreement and an ID to transfer a domain?

The thing is, all the "owner" info I have with the old company is false and made up (just incase private registration isn't enough- save me the ICANN lecture).
That was dumb. Unless you've lost your logins and stuff you should be able to change this in your existing registrar's interface.

So is there anything I can do, or must I wait for the domain to expire and then get it again?

You should be able to renew with your existing registrar without needing to do any paperwork. But transferring will require confirmation from the registered owner. Possibly not written, I don't think I've ever had to do that before, but at least the e-mail address must be valid and working. In my experience you will need the transfer authorization ID or whatever they call it from the registrar you're leaving, as well as confirming an e-mail.

Otherwise yeah, you'll have to let the registration lapse and then wait out the month (IIRC) grace period. And then hope to beat the domain squatters to it. I'd say it's definitely not worth it, just keep paying your existing people.

Doesn't happen to be Globat, does it? They screwed my on an old domain name and are doing it right now with one that expired the 11th... But, somehow they got a hold of it... I registered through GoDaddy on their .99 cent special, but Globat did the actual registration.

Back