Transfering E-mails in outlook

Funky_Junk

Limp Gawd
Hi, im about to format my hard drive and reinstall a fresh copy of windows, but before I do, I need to be able to keep all of my current emails in microsoft outlook, so I was wondering how I would be able to transfer them from one computer to another. Thanks.

You can export them from within oe or you can go search for dbx files on your pc as that is what oe uses to store email and import them into oe again after your format. They are under documents and settings/user account/ local settings/app data/microsoft/outlook epress if I remember but just search for them.

Thread title says Outlook Express so I will assume that even though your text says only Outlook.
In Outlook Express you can either Export your messages File -> Export -> Messages / Address Book OR you can find your store folder and make a copy of that.

Once you have reinstalled just import your messages and address book.File -> Import -> Messages / Address Book.

In that case just make a copy of the pst file. You may have more then one if you have archives.

Where can I find the pst file and what do I do with it when I get my new computer?

you can copy all the .dbx files found under local settings, application data, identies, microsoft outlook, copy all the files and than once you reinstall just setup outlook than copy the files back in or simply export/import :p

I went to where you specified but the folder did not exist. I found another one though in the application data folder with "office data files" is that what I want? Also, is there anyway to transfer settings as well?

Funky_Junk said:
I went to where you specified but the folder did not exist. I found another one though in the application data folder with "office data files" is that what I want? Also, is there anyway to transfer settings as well?

no, do you have hidden files and folders turned on? its under local settings,
sorry, its C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
Its alot easier to open outlook and just export everything than import later making sure to copy the exported files

just do a search on "outlook.pst" and you will find it. It is sort of deep and hard to find if you do not know what you are lookig for. Just save thta file as it contains all your mail. You will have to enter back in your accounts and passwords.

Heres what the folder you directed me to looks like, which files do I need to backup? (click to make bigger)

The outlook file (aka outlook.pst when you show file extension names). Copy that file onto a usb drive or elsewhere. When you get the new setup going, open outlook and import the pst file.
Full details

Funky_Junk said:
Heres what the folder you directed me to looks like, which files do I need to backup? (click to make bigger)

Yep thats right place, just as natural said, just copy them to a USB or that or burn to CD than open outlook and import them once you rebuild the machine

Back