Transfer files over a network

LoveTheBass

Limp Gawd
I need to transfer a large number of files from a laptop to my desktop. The laptop, sadly, does not have a cd-burner. I'd rather not have to FTP to a webspace. If anyone has any idea how I could just send those files to the computer, that'd be great. Thanks.

FTP server on one (if its windows http://filezilla.sf.net is a free one) and FTP client on the other (Again, Filezilla also has a client avalible, check it out I happen to like it alot)

If there is no connection between the two in any way then purchasingg a $30 128mb USB key from your local Wal-Mart might be your best option.

or.... by a crossover cable at the store. Set up a network between the two computers...BAM! Done with speed, and minimal cost. If you ahve a wireless router, or wired router/switch..even better.

i know this may not be the most moral thing to do, the guy at radio shack recommended it so i didn't feel bad. it was his idea.

radio shack has a 30 day return policy. buy an overpriced crossover cable, transfer your files, return it for your money back.

normally i wouldn't do somehting like that...but it was his idea, and he was the manager...

Those are all good suggestions. Sadly, I don't have the money for a USB stick, so I'm gonna try the Filezilla approach. If that doesn't work, I might just have to go get a crossover cable. I need one anyways. Thanks you guys!

All right, I've got all the files I need. Everything's installed. Although, I need to port-foward 21 on my wireless router. Whatever I'm trying isn't working. It's a Motorola Wireless G router. I can't seem to find any good information on the internet either. Any help?

Are both of these computers connected to the wireless router? If so theres no reason to have to copy the fles over the internet, just set up windows file sharing and copy them directly.

Also what exactly is an over priced cross over cable (other than those xbox "system link" cables selling for $40 which are just over priced cross over cables...)? Any cross over cable would run you no more than $5 at any computer store.

They are both connected, but I'm not familiar with Windows File Sharing. What do you need to do?

What operating systems are on each computer?

If your running XP it'll be really easy. Just run "set up a home or small office netowrk" wizard under my network places. Enter in the same workgroup for both computers, enable file sharing. Then right clifck on the folder you'd like to share, go to sharing and seciroty, enable sharing and browse to that folder from the other comuter.

There are tons of netowrking guides out there, but thats it in a nutshell.

If both computers can see each other on the network, probably the most straight-forward thing you can do is this:

Start -> Run

type "\\[workstation]\c$" at the Run prompt without the quotation marks and hit Enter - replace [workstation] with the name of the computer that you are not typing on but want to connect to. This will connect you directly to the C:\ drive of the computer you want to connect to through the administrative share (hence, the $). Then copy and paste the files you want over to where they need to be, just like copying and pasting from window to window using Explorer.

Back