Transfer data writes to the C Drive?

FireBean

Gawd
Here is my setup:
C = 64GB SSD
E = 2x 1TB in raid0
F = 300GB (backup and files storage)

I was extracting a rar files from F to E and it was writing to my C drive the entire time it was writing to the E Drive as well. How do I stop windows or 7zip from doing this. I'm trying to keep the writes off my SSD. I can also setup a RAM Drive since I have 16GB of it. :p

Did you put your temporary folder on the disk raid? Type %TEMP% in explorer to see the location.

No, I didn't change anything. Still pointing to the C Drive. Do you think 7zip was using the temp folder as a working folder? If so, it should use the ram if it's available.

According to the FAQ:

7-Zip doesn't know folder path of drop target. Only Windows Explorer knows exact drop target. And Windows Explorer needs files (drag source) as decompressed files on disk. So 7-Zip extracts files from archive to temp folder and then 7-Zip notifies Windows Explorer about paths of these temp files. Then Windows Explorer copies these files to drop target folder.

So it unzips to your temp folder on c and then copies to the destination folder.

Try this
Under options, on the plugins tab, click the Options... button, then the folders tab, and change the working folder to another drive you wish, such as a temp ram drive.

Hmm. I did not know that. however I never ever use 7zip in this way. I right click to open 7zfm and use extract there instead of any drag and drop.

When I extract incorrectly (with winrar, usually) I can see this happening because I use supercopier2 for transfers, so I'll see it open and copy from a temp folder on C to the destination.

I found a fix all solution. In environmental variables, you can change the destination of the temp folder. That seems to fix all my issues and make the system a lot snappier!

Back