Tranfering Data from PC to PC, Need HELP

demetrics

n00b
Wassup guys, got a friend trying to tranfer some files from her old PC(ME) to her new PC(XP Media). She basically just wants to tranfer her music and pictures. Any advice guys on how to do this? I am a little rusty with networking PCs and I have never worked with networking XP before.

There's many ways, but if you've only go the 2 computers and no hub the easiest way would be a crossover cable.

1. Plug each end of the crossover cable into a network port on the computers.

2. Ensure both computers are in the same workgroup.

3. Set different IPs for both eg. 1: 192.168.0.1 2: 192.168.0.2
No gateway or dns

4. They should show up in the network places browse, or you can map a network drive.

Go on computer 1:
Right-Clikc on My Computer > Map Network Drive..

Fill in the address like so:
\\computer2name\c$

Hit Enter. It should then ask you for a user + password, fill in an administrator user of computer 2.

eg.
computer2name\administrator
password

That should do it, if u need any more details just ask.

I find it quicker to use other means. If a little bit of data, just use something like a USB thumb drive.

If a lot of data....I find the easiest thing to do, remove hard drive from old PC, unplug cd-rom from new PC, stick old PCs hard drive on that IDE controller. Boot up new PC, old HD will show up as something like the D partition. Copy contents of that D partition into something like C:\Download\OldHD.

When done, remove old HD, replace cd-rom back..boot up...now whatever you need you can pluck out of that directory. I've found this useful because, well...as you'll learn when helping people replace their PCs..you'll ask them "OK, what do you need to keep?"...they'll tell you "blah blah blah"..you go and copy that stuff over. A few weeks later they'll call in a panic "Ack..I also need blah blah blah blah". You can then say "Ahh..no problem...it's all there". If you just did a basic copy of a few things via cd-rom or USB...well, they'd be out of luck unless that old PC was still around.

Old hard drives are small, new hard drives are the size of the state of Montana..so I never consider copying the entire old hard drive over to be a waste of space either.

Some common things to be aware of before the copy...if they use Outlook Express...export their mail settings into an .iaf file..put it inside of My Documents. Also export the address book into there too. Outlook Express you can copy over the folder the contains their .dbx files easily. IE Favorites, or if using another browser, also easy to export those. Their desktop folders. Of course the whole My Documents folder. Any financial programs like Quicken..backup company first.

Back