Traffic Routing question

jazzman161

Limp Gawd
Hey all! So I have a network question I'm hoping somebody can shed some light on. I've recently set up 2 routers w. Tomato firmware. The 2nd is setup as a wireless ethernet bridge and I have an htpc and xbox hooked into it. The 1st router is the DHCP router and i have my main rig and cable modem hooked into that one.

So question:
When the htpc runs tversity and streams video/music to the xbox, is the traffic going wireless from router 2 to router 1 back to router 2 (wireless speed) to the xbox or is it going from htpc to xbox all within router 2 (wired speed)?

I ask so I know if I should set tversity's video quality settings to reflect wifi tx speed or wired.

I created a paint diagram of the network layout but can't upload it right now. I'll do that when I get home from work.

Thanks!

the traffic shouldn't be getting transmitted wirelessly, since both devices are on the same switch/AP

Is there anyway to test/confirm this?

I was thinking unplugging router1 but then there'd be no DHCP server and don't know if that's an acceptable test environment when the htpc and xbox default to their internal IPs.

edit: just realized unplugging router1 will prove nothing as it'll force traffic to go thru router2.

Last edited:
I'm assuming router2 has a few switch ports ( multilayer switch) such as a linksys or something. If the htc and the xbox are both connected to router2 via physical UTP ethernet, then there is no reason for the traffic to be passing through router1.

Unless of course you had some type of Router-on-a-stick configuration and were doing dot1q trunking with router1. I'm assuming however that you are not doing this, and that the htc and your xbox are in the same vlan and subnet.

I'm assuming router2 has a few switch ports ( multilayer switch) such as a linksys or something. If the htc and the xbox are both connected to router2 via physical UTP ethernet, then there is no reason for the traffic to be passing through router1.

Unless of course you had some type of Router-on-a-stick configuration and were doing dot1q trunking with router1. I'm assuming however that you are not doing this, and that the htc and your xbox are in the same vlan and subnet.

he states he has 2 routers running Tomato firmware. So yes, we assuming #1 :p

Yes that's correct. Both HTPC and xbox are on the same vlan/subnet. Router2 is a hacked Asus and Router1 is a hacked Buffalo.

Sounds like everything is peachy then. Appreciate the fast responses!

Back