Traffic limit

Icestation

Weaksauce
Hi everyone I really need some help with this.

What I need is a way to limit all traffic on the WAN (modem/outside) when a specific traffic limit is reached, a bonus would be to have an exception that email would still go through even when this limit is hit.

My current setup is, Modem > FVS338 (firewall) > Switch > SBS 2008+Clients

The FVS only has a monthly limit, So since all my DHCP is issued by SBS2008 is there a way to do this through the server via additional software or settings?

In a "I want everything world" I would like to be able to set group limits, For example Group 1 gets 400 MB of total traffic a day, and Group 2 gets 100 MB of traffic.

And yes I am on satellite internet (daily traffic limit or we get hosed for 24 hours) No there is not another option so this must be solved.

The reason for the FVS338 is we have a ISDN backup on it, snow/weather you name it kills the sat so we roll over on the ISDN so mission critical emails can get through.

These limits we do not want them to affect the Client to Server connection, just limit all clients and server from using the modem.

This does have a limited budget so dont respond with buy this $3000 router with Level 3 switch, I need a Sub $150 solution.

Thanks and I hope that was enough info if not just ask away :)

Okay it looks like I have only one real option, a proxy (didn’t want to do this), unless someone has a better option.

So does anyone have any proxy recommendations that work well with SBS 2008, it must be able to run on the SBS not on a separate box. So recommendations please.

I was told to check out WebMarshal but as I can see that is a subscription based program, I would like to go just a 1 time purchase or even a free one if they exist for this server.

This is a small network 7 client.

Yeah, I'm guessing most proxy software is subscription based these days. Squid is free however and does work fine on 2008 x86/x64. I'm guessing it's not simple to set up, though it does appear to have some traffic limiting features. Though really, just having a proxy will probably reduce usage by quite a bit.

There's also the usual untangle/pfsense options, though they would require an extra machine to run on, though it wouldn't have to be anything expensive at all.

Thanks JBark, the reason for not wanting to run a box with IPcop or something like that on it is another item to maintain, the owner is looking for simple solutions that he can be trained to manage at the lowest possible cost.

Anyone else have any experience with proxy software for SBS 08?
Any other recommendations?

Back