trade s5 for note 3?

crankypsp

Limp Gawd
Hi guys, I've had an s5 for a few months and I've been liking it so far, but recently I got an offer to trade even for a note 3. I was wondering if the note 3 is any faster in terms of smoothness of the UI due to the extra 1gb of ram. My S5 does have hitches here and there every now and then and I definitely would not mind a bigger screen.

And also, who would be losing out here in terms of value? Are they worth fairly the same amount?

I guarantee you will see the same amount of hitches on the Note 3 as you see on the S5. It's not a RAM issue, it's a Touchwiz (Samsung's Android UI/skin) issue. You'll see plenty of hitches on the new Note 4 as well despite it having the fastest hardware available. The Note 3 has a slightly slower SoC than the GS5 and a more than slightly slower GPU, plus a display that isn't nearly as bright or accurate (the GS5's was pretty much the best display on the market until Samsung put a QHD version the the LTE-A GS5 and Note 4).

Check Swappa for average prices for both phones in terms of resale value. From what I'm seeing, the GS5 sells for about $50 more on average ($420 vs $368 for the unlocked variant).

In my opinion, Touchwiz is the worst UI for android, and not by a small margin either. Its slow, it lags, it hitches, it has slow animations, it takes up a lot of memory, it is not very customizable, and for some reason its on 2 of the most popular android devices in the world. When I gave android a chance, I bought a Galaxy s4 and I hated it. It was just so slow and everthing I did had a hitch. I heard the same things over and over "well root it and do this and that bla bla bla" and I didn't want to have to screw with it to get it close to the smoothness of my old iphone. I ended up selling it on this forum and writing off android completely because I assumed ALL phones were like this.

Then I played with the Moto X. I was blown away that it wasn't laggy. I used the phone for a good hour and couldnt get it to hitch.. at all.. I gave android another shot with my m8 and I loved it ever since.

TLDR: Android isn't laggy at all. Touchwiz is.

Touchwiz is horrible. I have a Note3, it's great hardware, but you need a good rom for it. I installed wicked on mine then I just ripped out every piece of bloat I could find. I would suggest reading up at XDA forums for more info.

The Note 3 is still a beautiful device even though it's a year old. If you think you would benefit from the stylus go for it... if not? Forget it.

Also, as mentioned.... pretty sure it's TouchWiz that is causing your problems and not ram issues.

is it that bad on note 3 / S5?
I got note 4 and disabled most of samsung/google apps
then replaced touchwiz launcher with google launcher
so far it's smooth and i have not run into issue

Ditto. Enable developer options by tapping on build number seven times and disable window animation scale, transition animation scale and animator duration scale. Also, disable carrier bloat and unused Samsung services such as print, s suggest, s voice, etc.

Depends on what's more important to you but I'd take the Note 3 with larger display, precision pen and more DRAM.

can't you just shorten the animations in dev options?

This. I have a note 3 non modded. TouchWiz and everything else is pretty damn quick. I tried doing the same to a brand new LG g3 but it still lagged and stuttered.

Back