DivineDark

n00b
Hey folks. Long time no post.

I've recently upgraded to the following system:

-asus p9x79 deluxe
-I7 3820
-corsair h80
-16 gb corsair vengeance ram

I've got it all snapped together and working after a series of bad parts that resulted in the store offering to upgrade my motherboard to a rampage iv for free....

It sounded fantastic till I remembered that it took almost three full days of brooding over issues before I finally got the damned thing to post, and I have just now got the os and apps reinstalled..

What would you do? Would you let it ride now that the machine is up and running properly, or would you tear it back down and start over with a slightly better board?

The only things that I REALLY want out of the rampage are the slightly higher durability components, ps/2 port(mechanical keyboard nut), and color scheme(don't laugh... I'm particular).

Let me know what you think. I have to decide sometime before the end of the day.

If the store is going to upgrade you for free, might as well. I just one more install and such (hopefully) but in the long term, you will have a great board with some features your looking for.

That's fair. Just the thought of having to move that damn processor again makes me Ill. Haha

I still have nightmares of bent pins.

Rampage IV extreme or formula?

Either would be a great deal.

You also shouldn't need to reformat the OS since it's the same chipset and CPU, as well as the same board manufacturer......unless you really wanted to.

I would take a close look at the feature set on the board you have and the one the shop wants to give you......maybe the deluxe has something you like that the Rampage is lacking?

Well, I did it. Tore the machine apart and returned the board. After another 4 hours of work, I'm now sitting on a rampage Iv extreme platform.

Definitely a beautiful board. My second from the RoG line, and definitely won't be my last.

Glad everything worked out for you the second time around, that was quite nice of the store. I wish stores were like that around here.

Around here you would get the whole "sorry for the inconvience if you give us that board back we can give u 5% off a new board." lol

Maybe I just missed it, but what store was this that did the for you? Local shop or chain?

The Formula isn't for 2011, is it? I thought the Rampage IV Extreme is for 2011 and Maximus IV Extreme is for 1155 SB. So, apparently, you have a 3820, which is 2011 socket, that means you can only upgrade to Rampage IV Extreme if you want to continue using the 3820.

The Formula isn't for 2011, is it? I thought the Rampage IV Extreme is for 2011 and Maximus IV Extreme is for 1155 SB. So, apparently, you have a 3820, which is 2011 socket, that means you can only upgrade to Rampage IV Extreme if you want to continue using the 3820.

Rampage iv formula is socket 2011.
I would jump on it for free upgrade to rampage iv anytime.
Congrats!

It was the Rampage IV extreme. Lga 2011, and the store was actually a Microcenter. I accidentally mistyped my previous board in the title.

Back