Trackpad that good?

Sync

Weaksauce
I was checking out the Show us your mac setup thread and noticed a lot of you guys are using the apple trackpad as well as a mouse. Is the trackpad that good? What do you guys use it for? I've never considered it something important but I am confused why so many have it.

After having learned to love the trackpad built into my MacBook, I don't know that I could revert to a traditional mouse if I got back into a desktop system,

Pretty much what Centauri said. A trackpad is faster and far more comfortable than a mouse for everything except gaming. This only applies to Apple trackpads though--I'd rather use a mouse than any PC trackpad.

Yeah the magic trackpad is just designed to work seamlessly in Mac OS X. The gestures are slick and intuitive.

I hated trackpads until trying the one on my MBP. It's really good.

The trackpad is imo the greatest thing apple has ever done. Every other track pad is just absolute shit compared to what apple puts in the macbooks.

The trackpad is imo the greatest thing apple has ever done. Every other track pad is just absolute shit compared to what apple puts in the macbooks.

Every other trackpad is objectively shit, no need to compare them to Apple's trackpads. It's amazing how Dell, HP, Lenovo, Toshiba etc continue to treat the trackpad as an afterthought. Microsoft is particularly guilty of this, given how third parties have had to add additional functionality to trackpads via apps and drivers.

The trackpad is the single biggest reason why I originally switched to OS X.

The trackpad is awesome. Especially when you use a non-Apple trackpad. After using an Apple trackpad, the rest suck.

Yes Apple trackpad has a great surface to it combined with the swipe/click shortcuts. What Apple calls the "magic trackpad", it's hard to describe because you do think of non-Apple trackpads and how everyone usually turns all of that off.

I owned 3 Windows laptops (1 Dell, 1 Acer, and 1 Asus) and absolutely hated the trackpads on all of them. Bought a MBP and now love using my trackpad! If it weren't for gaming requiring a mouse and the fact that Windows 7 doesn't handle gestures nearly as well as OSX (really hope Microsoft fixes this in Windows 8), I would use one with my desktop.

I was (am?) a windows guy. My wife got a macbook pro 13" a year ago. The trackpad is what convinced me to go apple. I love my 15" MBP.

At first, I thought I was crazy for focusing on the trackpad. But on a laptop, it really is important.

shrug, I love the Apple trackpad, but I use a mouse when my laptop is at my desk.

This is mainly a logistical reason. I have the laptop on a stand, elevated and at the same level as my external monitor, basically, the trackpad, when on the stand, is in a really inconvient location.

So, keyboard/mouse.

I also find some of the really fine precision control functions (in illustrator mainly) to still be easier with a mouse. But that might be a function of only really working on illustrator when I'm at my desk, and so running on the keyboard/mouse.

oh, just an Allsop Metal Monitor Stand nothing fancy. I just wanted it elevated so it was at the same level as the secondary monitor, and the height was right. Also let's the keyboard be partially under the laptop, which given the depth of the desk, is actually the most comfortable typing position for me anyways.

The only thing I can't stand about the trackpad is the same thing that bothers me about the trackpad on the Macbooks: that damned whole-surface-is-a-button bit. I know that's one of the things they tout about it, and that a lot of people really dig it, but I can't help it...I gotta have physical buttons to click.

I'll admit though...after using an Apple trackpad, whether standalone or on a laptop, it's nigh impossible to use a non-Apple one.

Technically it is a physical button.. :)
I bought my mbp off CL and the trackpad won't click when pushed so I've used the Tap To Click feature and I haven't missed having a button to push AT ALL. In fact I now don't even like physical buttons lol.

i have both.
I use the magic mouse at home and the trackpad at work.

i prefer the mouse personally

for anything but gaming I love the trackpad. Use it all the time on the imacs and MBPs at work. I find that waht they can do and with the space saving features they offer for general use they are nice.

The only thing I can't stand about the trackpad is the same thing that bothers me about the trackpad on the Macbooks: that damned whole-surface-is-a-button bit. I know that's one of the things they tout about it, and that a lot of people really dig it, but I can't help it...I gotta have physical buttons to click.

I'll admit though...after using an Apple trackpad, whether standalone or on a laptop, it's nigh impossible to use a non-Apple one.
My trackpad hasn't been clicked more than a dozen times. Once you get used to the trackpad you realize how little pressure you have to apply to get tasks done. Then you can use bettertouchtool for free and customize the entire surface of the trackpad (even as granular as the pressure per fingers for different gestures).

The trackpad is great for scrolling. That's about it. It's just way too slow to replace a mouse.

The trackpad is great for scrolling. That's about it. It's just way too slow to replace a mouse.

You've missed the point of this thread. No one's comparing the MacBook trackpad to mice, we're contrasting it with other notebook trackpads.

You've missed the point of this thread. No one's comparing the MacBook trackpad to mice, we're contrasting it with other notebook trackpads.

The OP was curious what people used their trackpads for. Archer75 stated that it's very good for scrolling, but otherwise couldn't replace his mouse. Perhaps you've missed the point of the thread?

Oh, I'm quite sure the Trackpad could easily replace a mouse. If you're not happy with the speed of gestures, then do the same thing you could do with a mouse - edit the preferences.

I owned 3 Windows laptops (1 Dell, 1 Acer, and 1 Asus) and absolutely hated the trackpads on all of them. Bought a MBP and now love using my trackpad! If it weren't for gaming requiring a mouse and the fact that Windows 7 doesn't handle gestures nearly as well as OSX (really hope Microsoft fixes this in Windows 8), I would use one with my desktop.

As do I. I would love being able to use the Magic Trackpad in Windows like I do in OSX. I actually prefer Windows 7 for a lot of things, but the Trackpad keep me solidly anchored in OSX (Well, that and battery life).

Add to that I use a combination of MX518 and Magic Trackpad on my desk at work.

Last edited:
The OP was curious what people used their trackpads for. Archer75 stated that it's very good for scrolling, but otherwise couldn't replace his mouse. Perhaps you've missed the point of the thread?

Thanks for proving my point. :cool:

It really is that good. One of many reasons I will never buy a PC laptop. Apple got notebooks right, period.

Agreed - the trackpad is amazing for everything except gaming and Photoshop work. PC trackpads feel ancient by comparison.

I've used the trackpad integrated into the 2010 MBP we have in the house here.

I haven't used the separate "Magic trackpad."

The MBP's trackpad is definitely superior to that of PC laptops, but it's not something I took note of until reading this thread. It obviously did not leave much an impression...

It was good for a laptop... and the two-finger smooth scrolling was admittedly easier than the side-scrolling mouse-wheel I normally use...probably due to the mechanics - less finger fatigue.

I never considered this for a desktop...hmm...not sure I'd want that when I prefer the mouse for everything except that one feature (and I tend to use mice with laptops anyway).

I think I'm just one of those people who demands the precision of a mouse.

I guess I'll go use the MBP some more...

Last edited:
I've used the trackpad integrated into the 2010 MBP we have in the house here.

I haven't used the separate "Magic trackpad."

The MBP's trackpad is definitely superior to that of PC laptops, but it's not something I took note of until reading this thread. It obviously did not leave much an impression...

It was good for a laptop... and the two-finger smooth scrolling was admittedly easier than the side-scrolling mouse-wheel I normally use...probably due to the mechanics - less finger fatigue.

I never considered this for a desktop...hmm...not sure I'd want that when I prefer the mouse for everything except that one feature (and I tend to use mice with laptops anyway).

I think I'm just one of those people who demands the precision of a mouse.

I guess I'll go use the MBP some more...

There's absolutely nothing wrong with liking a mouse over a trackpad, especially on a desktop, but you gotta admit that for a trackpad to even be compared to a mouse for desktop use says a LOT about the quality of that trackpad.

Back