track you down with p2p

xdviper

Gawd
hey, i heard that some isp's like verison online dsl, and my isp (cable modem) is watching what we download. my friend told on msn that he was downloading some stuff from his p2p software and his isp optimum online called him and said that he should uninstall it. is this true? can they really do this?

Many ISPs do watch your internet usage to combat piracy. You gave them the monitoring rights in the contract you signed with them. Needless to say, P2P is illegal, and there are people watching for it. Anymore, ISPs are being sued for what their subscribers do, so is it unfeasable that an entity with the capacity to monitor every packet on the network would choose to monitor for potential problems?

M11 said:
P2P is illegal
No it isn't. Some uses of it may be but P2P itself is legal. A good example would be Bittorrent and the recent success it has had for tons of file types (patches, drivers, game videos, etc).

FiZ said:
No it isn't. Some uses of it may be but P2P itself is legal. A good example would be Bittorrent and the recent success it has had for tons of file types (patches, drivers, game videos, etc).
I'll second that - P2P has far more potential than existing simply to be a cesspool for piracy.

FiZ said:
By "monitoring" I think the original poster implied what he was going to be downloading. But I agree with you about it not necessarily being illegal. Bittorrent is how I get my linux ISOs.

So no, p2p isn't illegal in and of itself, but most uses of p2p are illegal.

And back to xdviper's question, yes, your ISP can track what goes through their network, and yes, some do. I find it unlikely that an ISP would call someone and tell them to uninstall a p2p client, but I guess it is possible.

Remember, on the internet, everything you do can/may be watched. You can make yourself difficult to track, but never impossible.

I'd just like to insert here that google has tracked every search you've ever done.

If you don't delete your cookies, then everytime you enter their page it adds your search to the list.

I'm not sure if they keep anything else in their logs like IP addresses and times of search, but this year they spent over 200 million dollars on their "datacentres". They've never deleted anything.

M11 said:
Needless to say, P2P is illegal, and there are people watching for it.

Wrong! P2P is not illegal, or at least not in the good old US of A. ^_^

M11 sounds like some of the senators that don't understand how technology works.

~Hope this helps

towert7 said:
Wrong! P2P is not illegal, or at least not in the good old US of A. ^_^
M11 sounds like some of the senators that don't understand how technology works.
~Hope this helps
C'mn, you know the implication of the threadstarter. I love P2P, and use it frequently. It is one of the best ways to replicate data, especially linux isos or other big codebases.

Also, no where is it written (that i know of....... your ISP might be diffrent) that they have ANY controle over what is on your computer. They are responsible for internet service, and that's all.

The person using the computer is responsible for what they willingly download/upload.

But, most ISP's can, and some will monitor electronic data. I know our local one has full access to anyone's e-mail address and can legally read any e-mails.... they might even save them, who knows.

That's why its a good idea to buy an IP right from the source ^_^.......... become your own little "ISP", so to speak. Then you can monitor your own internet traffic, lol.

P.s., you know the government watches everything also........... but i don't think they mind if you download the latest "hip hop rip off"........ there more interested in the keywords.

~Hope this helps

hugo said:
I'd just like to insert here that google has tracked every search you've ever done.

If you don't delete your cookies, then everytime you enter their page it adds your search to the list.

I'm not sure if they keep anything else in their logs like IP addresses and times of search, but this year they spent over 200 million dollars on their "datacentres". They've never deleted anything.

Yeah, cause it makes sense to store searches you've sent to their servers in cookie files on your local computer...

towert7 said:
But, most ISP's can, and some will monitor electronic data. I know our local one has full access to anyone's e-mail address and can legally read any e-mails.... they might even save them, who knows.
Actually, reading someone else's private email is a sticky topic, a legal grey area. It will very likely end up illegal.

Let me give you folks a "senario": You are an isp. Do you a) log, monitor and track your users activities, so that every spook can put you and your staff to work for hours, days or weeks reconstructing evidence? Or do you b) Drop it. Don't monitor shit. Government spook comes asking around, you can tell them honestly that you don't have those logs, and get back to work?

Not really a tough question. Financially speaking, most small/medium ISPs won't touch this with a ten foot pole ( which is why it's so damn hard to get abusers taken care of ).

Back