tpf and sw fw in general

Rambler

Limp Gawd
Ok, this is not a "seeking best firewall" thread, rather few questions and observations.

i've been using TPF for a long tim now (started back with tpf2, then moved on to tpf4, which i'm using currently). i've tried to use newer versions, but they all gave me BSODs usually. happened with versions 4.5, 5 and 6. actually i tried tpf6 recently and it gave me bsod on reboot after installation and worked next boot. so here i am stuck with tpf4 and i'm seeking something better.

i mean i consider it quite nice fw, but i'm looking for some firewall which could do/have things like:
-list of ports where you could select to open/close/filter them - i mean just pick a port, click to filter it and select appz,remote ports/ips that can/can't connect etc.
-connection alert - same thing most fws (including tpf) have, but with some more advanced features

maybe i'm just loosy user, but i consider setting up tpf properly a pain in the ass with all those profiles and objects.

i've also tried kerio (kpf to be exact) and dunno if there was some conflict, but it slowed my system down noticably and the gui used to free quite often, so i uninstalled that one.

note: don't offer any hw solutions as that's not an option for me

Back