TP Link TL-POE10R... I think I bought the wrong thing

motolube

Gawd
Ok so I have my AT&T BGW210 in my master bedroom along with my Gaming Rig and also my TV but I need to evacuate it seems as I firmly believe my wife has taken possession of both items I enjoy (why can't they never see us happy? :().

I am looking for 2 favors and I hope I am posting on the correct forum... networking has never been my strong suit but I always listen.

1.- I am on a 300 Mbit AT&T fiber line but it doesn't feel that I am going any faster than my old Xfinity 25Mbit (seat of the pants feel more than any proof I can give. Lack of how to get that proof is the main reason). I own an Asus RT-AC56R that I would be willing to upgrade if I can disable the AT&T POS and use mine or any newer better router. About a year ago I tried suggestions as to how to do this (from google links) but I was unable to get anywhere, desisted but I want to get back on that horse again if possible. I am sure there is something I can do.

2.- I just purchased a newer 55" TV for what I hope will be my mancave in one of my living rooms and this is where the TP LInk TL-POE10R comes in, the add said plug and play and I saw what looks like an ethernet port but I am now having difficulty believing this is all I need have ethernet/wired capabilities downstairs in the living room so I guess the questions is... what else do I need to buy in order to accomplish what I want to do and/or, what is my best choice of having wired internet on my TV and rig when I finally move to the living room?

I don't want to waste your time with more dribble so I am here ready to listen and try new things. My budget is not huge, less so now that I am still needing to find a recliner, wireless keyboard & mouse, and a whole bunch of other stuff to make my relocation happen. I don't do Online Gaming so I don't need all that rigorous hardware but I do want my internet to give me what I paid for.

Thanks

1 - You can run a test from Speedtest.net or something like that to confirm your network performance download speeds, but do it from whatever end device you're trying to use. There could be any number of things that could cause this lack of performance upgrade "feeling", including the fact that sometimes you just don't need a lot of speed to do things like streaming video and surfing web pages. When I changed up my service recently, I stuck with 150Mb service because just for myself I don't really have a need for faster speeds at the moment (which require more expensive equipment, etc). I would suspect the RT-AC56R would be capable of 300Mbit, but I have no idea.

2 - What was your intent purchasing this? This appears to be a POE injector, for adding Power Over Ethernet to power a device over ethernet cable. Usually this is used to give a device such as a wireless access point power without using a plug-in or power adapter/wall wart at the device location. Were you looking for a switch to add additional ethernet ports to your network? A TV isn't going to be a POE device, you'll need a switch in the location or just run another cable from your router/switch that everything comes in on. If you can't run a cable to the location you want, my first choice would be MoCA adapters that use the cable lines in your house. I've used those with great success in the past. Other options would probably be some sort of WiFi bridge device, but I've never used one so I can't point you in that direction.

1.- Speedtests show DLs up to and sometimes more than 300 MBps but seat of the pants reference/test or comparison between the old Xfinity 25Mbit and this AT&T 300Mbit tells me there is something lacking or holding me back. Again, hard to prove because I am not network savvy but I know is there somewhere. On the other hand, you are also correct, we do mostly streaming and I don't have issues there, perhaps that is why I have not pursue this further since last year but it is in the back of my mind to fix or try.

2.- I had my gaming rig and my TV in my bedroom but my wife has taken over little by little so I want to move my mancave to the living room (2 story house and bedrooms are upstairs). Again not being Network savvy I thought this TL-POE10R was a plug and play Powerline that I could just plug into the electricity outlet and get a network/ethernet connection to a Giga switch and from there have internet capabilities for a few devices but after reading a bit I see how wrong I was. I am still reading that what I may need is a Powerline Device so I can connect 1 upstairs (I imagine near the router) and then 1 downstairs near my Giga Switch but I also read that they both need to be in the same circuit phase??? This is totally confusing, hence, why I ask people in the know.

Thanks

Yep, a POE injector won't help you. I'd either use a set of powerline adapters, or even better a moca adapter that uses the coax as I believe the at&t box will have moca capabilities.

Once you do that you should have full wired speed to your tv. But before that, I'd use dslreports.com/speedtest and plug directly to the att box and run some speedtests. It should be close to your rated speeds as I've found this test to be the most accurate across all the ISPs I've used in the last 6 years (over 6).

And good luck on getting your happy back! It's hard for us boys to miss our toys!

Back