Toyota's New Solid State Battery Could Make Its Way to Cars By 2020

monkeymagick

[H]News
Toyota announced that it is nearing a breakthrough in battery technology. Instead of the liquid electrolytes present in lithium-ion batteries used in today's EVs (electric-vehicle), the solid-state battery uses solid electrolytes. Besides coming in at a lighter weight, solid-state batteries can also withstand a wider range of temperatures. The new development will potentially lead to cars with longer driving ranges on only a few minutes of charging. Now, we'll have to figure another excuse to not visit grandma.

Batteries remain a key limiting factor for electric vehicle design, because of how far tech companies focused on the problem have pushed existing science. The move to solid state would help make room for more gains in terms of charge capacity achieved in the footprint available in consumer vehicles, while helping to push further existing efficiencies achieved through things like the use of ultra-light materials in car frames and interiors.

For a second I thought they were starting to make SSDs and I was like... wha...?

I was happy when they made the toilet seat that went down on it's own.

Everything is going to be so awesome in 3-4 years. I even bet my i7 AND phone will be at least 25% faster. Still if they can bring the ev tax down to 4-5 grand, id buy one.

Progress is expected and encouraged, if not for EV cars then for your standard 12v liquid car battery to be replaced by something that lasts longer, is more durable and hopefully does not cost more but I doubt that last part.

Lol SS batteries been around long time. Capacitor's do the same thing.

Most of the caps I have come across have a gel fluid inside. Do they make completely solid ones? Not being an ass, that's a real question.

And I only know about the cap fluid due to them exploding on my motherboards, other electronic devices etc

Most of the caps I have come across have a gel fluid inside. Do they make completely solid ones? Not being an ass, that's a real question.

And I only know about the cap fluid due to them exploding on my motherboards, other electronic devices etc
Yes, there are solid polarized capacitors. But no, they are not the same as batteries.

another year.... another "new improved batteries are around the corner" news feed. :D
I think there's probably like a 10 year window when commodity tech goes from proof of concept to a niche item, then potentially 10 years until it can challenge the incumbent leader, worse if the government is involved. Lithiums still haven't completely replaced nimh, and i still have power tools from the last 7 years that use ni-cad. We should dig through 10 year backissues of PopSci if we want to know what's actually around the corner.

Back