Town Wifi

benbosquared

Lurker
I was looking in to setting up a wifi solution for my town that I live in. The coverage area needed is about 5 square miles. I would like to cover the whole town.I would like the to allow visitors of the town to be allows access to it but have to pay a fee with paypal. I would like the access points to be connected to each other with a wireless setup too so that no wires need to be ran to each of them. I would like to use something fairly inexpensive but really reliable i was looking in to spending some thing like 25000 dollars max to get all up and running. That cost would be just for the needed equipment not any internet backbone link.
If anyone knows of a great and reliable solution let me know. Thanks in advance.

no about 5000 people live in the town, and no im not the mayor, but we do have many people that do come to the town during the year and I thought a wifi that covered the whole town would be a great idea. It may be a big investment at first but i think it would pay off in about 3 years of usage

... and how many of these 5000 are actually going to use this service?

Have you consulted with your ISP about this project? Would they be okay with it (most wouldn't be as you're introducing competition by using their service blah blah blah)?

get in touch with a sales rep from cisco... they'll be able to inform you as to what they will have available for something like this... then you can use that info to see what competitive products are out there.

after you've done that... you can talk to the FCC, town officials, attorneys and numerous other regulatory bodies and have your plan thrown out the window.

I second talking to your local Cisco rep. :)

If you want it done right and have it actually work and be stable, Cisco is the way to go. They make outdoor APs/Bridges that are designed for the municipal wireless thingy.

ok I will do that thanks for the help, as for town officials I think that is something that i dont have to worry about, but i will give my local rep a call and thanks for the help

Back