Tower of RagE (updated Feb 17)

phasmatis_nox

[H]ard|Gawd
Heh, this thread is a bit old, but hey.
I read on your site that you cut off/permanately attached to top and right side because you would never need to take them off again. I'm considering doing something similar on a case I have with one of those old school one piece covers. What do you think, in retrospect? Do you attach all your drives on the left side only?

Thanks.

Originally posted by phasmatis_nox
Heh, this thread is a bit old, but hey.
I read on your site that you cut off/permanately attached to top and right side because you would never need to take them off again. I'm considering doing something similar on a case I have with one of those old school one piece covers. What do you think, in retrospect? Do you attach all your drives on the left side only?

Thanks.

Wrong case. That was the old Enlight case I did that to. That one has since been retired (i.e. landfill). That case used rails, btw.

Originally posted by ScretHate
i just noticed that the fan filters are on backwards...:rolleyes:

They are "backwards" so I don't have to look at them. Kinda ugly, ya know

Originally posted by PS-RagE
Wrong case. That was the old Enlight case I did that to. That one has since been retired (i.e. landfill). That case used rails, btw.

Rails are the thingies that hold the drive in without screws, right?

Does your case like give you frostbite? I love the artwork. And the fans are just crazy. I give it a 10 :)

Originally posted by phasmatis_nox
Rails are the thingies that hold the drive in without screws, right?

kinda, you screw the rails onto the drive and then slide it into the case... like in teh enlights, antecs, etc

I decided to finally upgrade my big purple beast. Its getting an ASUS P4C800 mobo, 1G Corsair XMS and a 3GHz P4.

brute1.jpg

brute2.jpg

Sticking with the "extreme aircooling theme" I've used a giant Thermalright SP-94 heatsink with a 100cfm 92mm Delta - friggin huge!

:p

Here are the final pics installed in the case:

TofR04-1.jpg

TofR04-2.jpg

For those interested, I took some sound level readings today: at 1 meter (the distance I normally sit from the case) with only the "normal" fans on (i.e. all the front switches off) I get 62.5 dB on the C-Scale. With all the fans on, that reading jumps to 71.5 dB

So yeah, it is kinda loud ;)

ya know those reactions that are like "ah that's just ridiculous" but at the same time are like "omg i want"

yeah, insert that right here.

Big difference. Runs smooth now. The T-Bird had been unstable for so long I don't remember if it ever worked right.

I don't game anymore (maybe when DOOM ]I[ comes out -we'll see) but am now big into A/V with computers (new project soon to be shown). First time I tried to encode a DivX on previous system, it pegged the CPU at 100% and locked solid within 20 min or less. That was the hint to get off my ass and finally give the thing the upgrade that was 2 years overdue

Owned. :D

Pretty big upgrade you got there RagE. Still a sweet case. How's the "Terabyte" computer going? You need to get on a DC hub with those movies. :D

Originally posted by SarverSystems
[BWhat EXACTLY are those "nut rivets" called, and where did you get them? [/B]

Um, they simply are "nut rivets". I've also seen them called "nutserts". They are basically a pop-rivet but leave a threaded hole. Very handy, especially for thicker steel. They are a "shop sundry" for me (i.e. stuff used daily like butt-splices and zip-ties). We get them from "Fastenall". Also got them from "The Fastener Center".

Originally posted by mrharhar
Thats absolutely insane.
Which fans are blowing in and which are sucking out?

All the side and front (not seen) fans are intakes. The top and rear ones are exhaust.

Here is the machine at full load with all the fans going using Sandra's "Burn-in utility" (processor tests only):

TofRtmp2.jpg

I let it run like this for about 45 min. Case temp never went over 21C and CPU never over 31C. Pretty good for an air-cooled machine, I would say.

And you need a special rivet gun to attach them? Sorry to ask so many questions, but I've never seen those before.

Yup. That one in particular came off the Snap-On truck. A hundred bucks or so

That beast is simply awesome. The internals need some updating maybe, but the outside and the case itself are just pure insanity. I love it!!! Well done!

I've got an old AT style server case laying I might do something with one of these days. When I do, I'll keep your mods in mind as ideas for my own mods.

- Joey \m/

I guess you skipped through the other pages but I just upgraded to a 3GHz P4.

To top it off, after demoing "Painkiller" tonight, I just ordered an Asus 9800XT. I haven't gamed in a long time but playing that one showed me that the GF3 has to go

w00t, I was wondering when you were going to get around to upgrading that thing. :)

Awesome case, I've never really seen one I like better. Personally, I'd probably end up throwing the thing out the window (literally) in about 30 seconds due to the noise, but that's some major cooling :cool:

Btw, have you overclocked yet? :D

That really looks nice, you should be a proud papa........my case sux and i have no time to do otherwise : (

I've probably stared at the "guts" picture a hundred times by now but I'm still impressed by how clean it is and how well you route the parallel IDE cables.

My hat is off to you.

-el bob

Back