Touchscreen laptop into car tablet?

SMPWorksForME

Weaksauce
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6781971608&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

I just bought this on ebay.. when I get back from vacation I plan on flipping the screen over and installing it in my car. I want to use a good car mediacenter program.. I plan on upgrading the ram and the HDD. A hand held usb keyboard will be installed (really small one)

I plan on running it throught the AUX of my stereo and playing movies, music videos, etc maybe a wardriving connector?

On a 233mhz computer with upgraded ram i'm thinking of windows 2000? Anyone recommend anything else?
I'm also going to look into a cpu upgrade.

What should I use to mold the screen? I was thinking of bondo?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
seems like it might take a P3.. I have a 900mhz and a 600mhz laying around. I can try to add those. I need to order ram, a HDD and a DVD player but I dont know how much ghosting there will be with the screen. If the ghosting is bad I can get another screen and place it elsewhere. I can use the touchpad option for everything but movies.
http://www.bobjohnson.com/panasonic_toughbook_laptops/panasonic_toughbook_upgrade.htm

I think I can only get drivers for windows 98se for the touchscreen.. The touchscreen is key so I'm gunna have to run 98. If anyone knows better than I am please let me know. The plan is to make it more of a tablet PC. I like the way the top cover of the laptop looks so its a shame, but I can make it into a protective cover maybe..
Plans:
128mb ram making roughly 160, 40gb hdd, 550 mhz cpu, 98se if I cant find drivers fow 2k (touchscreen drivers)

tablet mod, screen cover. Handle delete, custom molding with bondo.

SMPWorksForME said:
I think I can only get drivers for windows 98se for the touchscreen.. The touchscreen is key so I'm gunna have to run 98. If anyone knows better than I am please let me know. The plan is to make it more of a tablet PC. I like the way the top cover of the laptop looks so its a shame, but I can make it into a protective cover maybe..
Plans:
128mb ram making roughly 160, 40gb hdd, 550 mhz cpu, 98se if I cant find drivers fow 2k (touchscreen drivers)

tablet mod, screen cover. Handle delete, custom molding with bondo.
Win2K would run very poorly IMO. And with the touch driver 98-only, that's the way you should go. As far as upgrading, don't expect to do the CPU. It prolly won't work for you. The bios will not allow a P3 at all, this thing is a P1! And that's only if it has a socket in the first place, being ruggedized generally means a soldered CPU. Make sure it has a regular so-dimm connector too, I got an Itronix ruggedized with the same basic specs over a year ago, and the RAM is not really upgradable (it would cost wayyy more than it's worth) You will be able to run mapping/GPS with this machine, and MP3's won't be a problem. But movies will..... You really need a 400 MHZ or better to run movies well, and video specs on that machine are bound to be lacking as well. Good luck with the project!
PS: Try getting "98 Lite" off the net to use with win98. It lets you delete all the Internet Explorer integration and whatever else you don't want from 98. Makes older CPU's run much faster without the extra overhead.

Have you been to that site? it shows the same models being upgraded... Did they have different mobos? either way i´ll figure t all out and let you know..

PS I´´m from the hampton beach area, where you from.. (i´m in spain right now though)

I wouldnt count on changing the CPU at all, and the memory also seems like it would cost too much (old memory for laptops is getting harder to find and more expensive by the day). I am not sure I would place very high hopes in this project. But it might be worth the try if $90 dollars isnt gonna phase you much... Let us know how it works out for you in the end if you go ahead and do it. Personally I would look elsewhere...

SMPWorksForME said:
Have you been to that site? it shows the same models being upgraded... Did they have different mobos? either way i´ll figure t all out and let you know..

PS I´´m from the hampton beach area, where you from.. (i´m in spain right now though)
Yeah, different mobo there on that site. The cf-27 shown at that website has a STARTING RAM size of 64 MB, yours comes with 32..... And the CPU at that site lists as a PIII. Don't give up hope though, even with a minor upgrade to 64 MB of RAM and maybe a HDD increase to 10GB the machine would be really cool. I don't know why you would destroy such a valuable machine as a toughbook, tho :eek:
Keeping the machine intact and getting another laptop with touchscreen that's not ruggedized and higher spec might be the better option. It's kinda funny cause I just ordered a Toshiba Libretto 70CT from ebay yesterday, and it has very slow specs as well. 120 MHZ Pentium, 32 MB upgraded from 16 MB, and a 6 GB HDD upgraded from 1.2 GB!!!!!!! Wow, what a powerhouse! :) But it's only as big as a VHS cassette, so what the hell, it's worth the $200 I spent!
One of the better options IMO is the fujitsu "tablets" with celerons, they are around 500 MHZ and come with 128-256 MB standard. They do not have keyboards and look like small versions of tablet PC's. You can get these for short money, around $250 as I recall, and come with a docking station sometimes. Now THAT would be perfect for your modding project! Be careful you DON'T get the OUTDOOR only screen, they come with no backlight.... Here's one on Ebay right now:
Stylistic Tablet
BTW, I am in Pembroke, NH. Now thats in the sticks!
EDIT: Oh yeah, you should be able to resell the toughbook easily, they are in demand... Or keep it for a very rugged machine to beat on.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
1. does it have to be a laptop. because u might be able set up a micro atx comp under the dash.

2.what kind of wires come from the screen or do they go to an intergrated inverter in the motherboard?

3. i think i saw a 12 volt dc power supply for a car, ill get u a link

4. i live in gonic nh its right next to rochester. thats weird ur the first guys that ive heard of in the nh area :p

Mr. Muffin said:
1. does it have to be a laptop. because u might be able set up a micro atx comp under the dash.

2.what kind of wires come from the screen or do they go to an intergrated inverter in the motherboard?

3. i think i saw a 12 volt dc power supply for a car, ill get u a link

I think he's going for a laptop for size, low power/thermals, and integrated features, not to mention the touchscreen interface. Any regular PC will be inferior to a laptop in the long run, I've done both setups in many cars many times, and I can vouch for a slower laptop any day of the week! :)
4. i live in gonic nh its right next to rochester. thats weird ur the first guys that ive heard of in the nh area :p
Hehe, well New Hampshire has only been my home for almost 15 years :) Knew a guy that lived in Milton for a while. I didn't like it there tho, damn cops were ridiculous!

Back