• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Touchscreen GUI for HTPC

Dark Prodigy

Jawbreaker
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
2,803
I'm seriously thinking about buying an HTPC case that has a built in 7" touchscreen for my home theatre setup. I understand that the touchscreen replicates the Vista MCE screen so you can navigate the menus without having to turn on your plasma TV screen. However, what about when the movie (or whatever you are watching) is playing?

I don't want 2 screens of the movie playing while I watch. Are there any good third party GUI software apps for these types of touchscreens for media center use? I would like to have some thing like the movie cover art displayed on the touchscreen while the movie played on my 50" plasma. Does something like that exist? Is it possibly built into the Vista MCE GUI?

If anyone has any experience with this, please chime in to let me know. Thanks.
 
You can have Vista display the MCE gui on the 7" screen and display video only to your plasma, no special software required.
 
Well thanks for that info and its good news, however I would still like to know if there are any "VFD" like GUI's avaliable for the 7" touch screens. For example, I would like the Touch screen to display simply the Movie Title and or Cover Art and info while the movie is playing instead of the Vista MCE GUI. Are these things supported natively in the Vista MCE software or do I need third party?
 
i saw once a software sorry i don;t remember the name
but search car pc or something else
 
maybe what ^^^ was talking about was www.mp3car.com

I am trying to build something like a HTPC for my car, and I know they sell kits like that for it, they have the software listed on there concerning what you are looking for.
 
Well thanks for that info and its good news, however I would still like to know if there are any "VFD" like GUI's avaliable for the 7" touch screens. For example, I would like the Touch screen to display simply the Movie Title and or Cover Art and info while the movie is playing instead of the Vista MCE GUI. Are these things supported natively in the Vista MCE software or do I need third party?
Nope, doesn't work like that.

Honestly, don't waste your money on the touchscreen case. Even with Vista (which was suppose to make this more practical for control purposes) touchscreens are still more of a novelty (just like VFDs and LCDs) on an HTPC then anything else.

http://www.niveusmedia.com/software/Companion/companion3.html
Essentially what you want is that but it only works with other Niveus products from what I understand. Too bad MS didn't make something like it a part of Vista. :rolleyes:
 
The only good VFD screens I've run across are the VL System products. I own two of theirs, and I couldn't ask for much more. Both the hardware and software has been working for me now well over a year without a hiccup. They are a little bit pricey, but well worth it IMO.

Reference:

 
This got me thinking about getting a 8" HAMI LCD screen and kinda useing it like a remote, GUI, they have touchscreen versions and its small enough to be semi portable with a little care. it has a 800x600 native resolution as well so it should be able to handle the GUI just fine, I think there less that $200 on ebay shipped.
 
Back
Top