Touching computer causes a reboot

theslug

n00b
Joined
Dec 21, 2005
Messages
6
Hi all,
I've got a static discharge problem here. I know I'm supposed to properly ground myself and all that when working on the inside of a computer. Problem I have is if I have a static electricity buildup, touching the computer anywhere, on the outside, causes it to reboot. I basically have to ground myself on a metal object before I do anything with the computer.

It happens with the computer in two different locations (home and work), so I don't think the wiring in the walls is bad (and at work, I've run other computers on the same outlet without issues). I'm using a standard 3-prong grounded cord connected to the PSU, which is an Antec 480W. And the UPS I'm using at home doesn't show a wiring fault.

I've been told maybe the PSU is bad, so I'll get it tested. I'm thinking it's also possible I have some exposed screw or wire touching metal somewhere. It only started a week or so ago, and I haven't made any significant hardware changes. Does anyone have any ideas otherwise?
 
I'd definitly think its a grounding problem or like you said a bare wire hitting something, that's not a good, hopefully no major problems will result from the static that's causing this. Sorry not much help but to agree with you.
 
Back
Top